Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tyreplier Tryout

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Playing around with Tyrepliers, to remove some old Swampers from the rims. Breaking the bead was pretty fast and easy but I wrestled with getting the rim out for an hour. They say to use a rubber mallet... I soon went to a small sledge (BFH). Still couldn't get the stupid thing off. So, applied the principle of "a bigger tool is a better tool". That's a 6 foot long pry bar. That rim was off that tire with no damage in maybe 15 seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I can just hear that dog's thots...
    "why was she working so hard to get these apart, there's no dog food in here....."
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ahh, so you know my dog... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Did you get the video? When I got my set (pliers, 2 spoons, repair kit) it came with a video that was so-so... My first 42" TSL dismount took about 30 minutes of sweating and cursing for me and my 15 yr old son (nearly 6 foot at the time, now over). After that, we got faster with each one till the last which had been (apparently) glued on.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No, no vid, just got the pliers and 2 spoons. Read a bunch of articles with pics before I started. Just couldn't get those spoons to move around the bottom rim to pull it out of the tire.

The front bead broke easily, the back bead took a little more work and cursing. Popping the bead over the rim on the top was pretty easy once I went to the sledge and dumped that rubber mallet idea they spec'd. But I couldn't get that rim out of that tire for anything cuz I just couldn't get those spoons around the bead to separate and pull that bottom bead up and over.

Did the video give any indication that it could be used to get the tire back on the rim? I know the R&R Beadbreaker says it can be used to reseat the tire onto the rim. But the Tyrepliers didn't say anything about that.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

From memory, hope I don’t forget anything…

When moving the bead over the rim, make sure the opposite side bead (180* around, same side of tire) is down in the "well" (valley) of the wheel. Use VERY soapy watter for lube.

Getting it back on is only the irons. Wheel goes in from the back of the tire. Shove the back bead down onto the wheel as far as possible, center of the "mounted" bead should be well into the well/valley. Lock one side with the flat spoon. Use the spoon with a "finger-nail" to reach under the unmounted bead to grab the rim (fairly close to the point it crosses the rim) and leaver it over, repeat... Important, you must keep the bead that is in the wheel *in the well/valley*.

That's the best I can remember. I no longer have any use for the video, if you want it (and I can find it) PM me with your address and I'll send it to you...

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Russ, thanks for the info. Would love the vid if it's no trouble. PM'd you with my addy.

Have you ever tried R&R Beadbreakers?

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Sorry but had to throw this in there...

Thats why I love my hummer wheels. Remove 8 nuts and the rim seperates making tire changes doable on the trail in 5 mins. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good use of leverage though. It's always exciting to see a woman getting her hands dirty and getting the job done. (no pun intended). I just wish my wife would be willing to even do an oil change. *sigh*

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Get Beadlocks and say good by to tire pliers! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thats the nice thing about Beadlocks, you can finally fire your tire mounting guy/gal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I didn't think Hummer wheels fit what I have (35x15x12.5 BFG AT's on I believe 10 inch rims) 6 lug.

And I thought beadlocks were illegal in CA for street use. Is that true?

I don't mind getting my hands dirty at all. In fact, you should see my hands. Or maybe not. I trash them pretty well when I work on the truck. Just found a gash in the side of my pinkie. Don't know how it got there. I thought I was wearing gloves /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

But I bet your wife can cook. Any hubby of mine would probably starve. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

hahaha no she can't cook either. Oh well... she has "other talents" so I think I'll keep her /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yah the hummer wheels are for 16.5" tires so no help to you there. They are as I'm sure you know beadlocked on both sides and are DOT approved so they are 100% legal.

Any other beadlocks from what I understand are not.

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hahaha no she can't cook either. Oh well... she has "other talents" so I think I'll keep her

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yea, well. There is that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Re: beadlocks, hummer tires etc. Guess I keep practicing with those pliers /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Not ready to start with new axles, 8 lug, blah, blah.

I do think that I will try out the R&R beadbreakers tho, and see how it works putting the tire back on the rim.

I took 3 swampers off the rims in a little over a half hour using that big ole pry bar. Hmmmm. More weight for my truck. Maybe I'll compromise and get a 4 foot pry bar for the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've mounted 31's with motorcycle tire irons, no sweat. I'm sure bigger tires are more difficult, especially those with serious sidewalls but something seems a little off here.
    I need to make a bigger copy of my Dune buggy's bead breaker for the yota and the Sub both. Compact thing that can be used on or off the vehicle. Would use the Hi Lift's handle for leverage.

Never met your dog, but the pose is so classically 'dog'........

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The data I read said that Swampers tend to have the toughest beads out there. Breaking the bead wasn't bad tho. It was getting that rim out of the tire. Could just be girl strength as opposed to guy strength. For me, that pry bar saved the day.

Yea, that really is a dog pose. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually she was looking for bugs. She eats them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Was checking inside the tire for spiders, as she found a few on the outside. Dog heaven. A bug in every tire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

A bug in every tire? Well that beat's hell out of a nail in every tire! Especially when the dog eat's the bugger's! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif