Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-bolt and axle problem

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rasberry, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Ok, my rear axle keeps slipping forward off its shim.( I have a 6 inch lift) The hole in the leaf spring pearch has wallowed out some in a inlongated style. Because the shim isn't as thick on the front its allowing it to slide forward. It doesn't go past the nut sticking out of the top if the leafs because the U-bolt catches it.

Now here is what I think will solve the problem. If you guys see any holes in my idea please speek up.
    My 71' Blazer has the bracket under the axle with the square U-bolts going over the leafs like it should. The 73' and earlier have the bracket on top with the true U-bolts under the axles. Because these brackets have the whole in the middle that wont allow it to slide up the leaf, it should hold still after I tighten it up. Correct? Which should work alot better than the existing U-bolt set up, and in theary will hold.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    http://www.geocities.com/71blazer

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The later kind (u-bolts under the axle, plate on top) is prefered because the threads or nuts wont get ruined when you hit a rock or something on the trail. Most lift kits include these type of u-bolts, mine did. As for the perch, if the whole is wallowed out big enough you might need to weld on a new perch.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

In case you wanted to stay with the current set-up, there are leaf spring center bolts with extra long heads which should pass through the shims and still have enough length to go well into your perch. I found them by mistake when searching for some centerbolts at 4wheel parts. I don't have a part number, but they do exist. Good luck, JT

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Both biggray71 and JST12 have good ideas for you. I wouldn't mess with leaving the spring perches there if the holes are elongated. Replace them for safety's sake, then get the bolts with the longer heads that JST12 suggested...

5. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys. I have a spare 72 Blazer in peices that I think I'm going to just take the rear end out of that and replace this one. Better safe than sorry, right. But I do plan to switch over to the newer u-bolt style. Hopefuly before long I'll find an afordable 1 ton to stick in the rear.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    http://www.geocities.com/71blazer