Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U Bolt plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by M-1028, Nov 25, 2006.

1. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Can someone tell me who makes the u bolt plates for leaf springs that have a degree cut in them to match whatever degree shims your running. I keep breaking the bolts that hold the passenger side leaf spring, on a dana 60 (the bolts that thread into the housing). I also break leaf spring center pins alot and I am hoping the plates would help.
    Thanks

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What degree shim are you using? I have the factory degree shims on my front springs and i don't have any problems and i'm using the factory spring plates still. Are you torquing the U-bolts/bolts to the proper torque value? The torque is 110 ft. lbs. for a 5/8" U-bolt.

3. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Well the first 2 yrs I had the truck lifted not a single problem, but here lately the truck has been wheeled really hard. Broke the bolts in the housing 3 times, now I'm changing the spring center pins all the way around for the 3rd time. I break them so bad my axles shift signifiganly and end my day. So to try and solve the problem I'm going to have a machine shop drill out all of the springs for 1/2" pins. I'm also getting all new U bolts and hardware, and new degree shims. I have seen the degreed plates and they have to help. When I tighten up the bolts in the housing I can see that they don't sit straigh.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The breaking of center pins is usually because you don't have the U-bolts torqued properly. As far as the tapered spring plates they will cure the misalingment of the plates versus shims but you can also buy conical washers from McMaster Carr cheaper than buying tapered spring plates and they do the same thing. Do a search and you should find them on their website. Look for either conical washers or spherical washers.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  5. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check em out

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with 4x4HIGH. I know after doing any work that requires removing the u-bolts I have to re-torque the u-bolts several times before they hold their torque. This is what the instructions said to do on the first lift I ever installed.

I've always torqued mine to 150ft-lbs. Could have swore that's what the lift instructions said. And that was on 1/2ton 9/16" u-bolts.

Although I don't run shims, but I did have tapered rear blocks for a while.