Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-bolt plates

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I'm having trouble getting my u-bolt plate thing (what goes directly on top of the spring pack) onto the ubolts. I got it on fine on one side, a little difficult but no problem really. But now I just can't get them on on the other side. Any special technique or something? Or are they different between a 12b and a 14b? I didn't thik there was a difference and since the other side went on fine I still dont think there is. But still it seems like the plate should be longer? :confused:

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

uh yeah,,,,the 14b u-bolts are bigger, you need the right u-bolts for this to be installed correctly...:o

3. lochenjons

I have the right u-bolts! But what the ubolts go into, the ubolt plates, they wont go in on one side

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The axle tubes are different sizes between a 12 bolt and 14 bolt. That means they need different u bolts and different spring plates.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

They are a PITA sometimes, get one end in and then squeze it with both hands, sometimes it's enough for the other to fall into the hole. That is if the plates are on top like mine.
    Otherwise, get a friend to help.

6. lochenjons

Ok...well I got everything to "work". It was a pain but it worked...but maybe it wasnt supposed to

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I don't know that I've ever installed any that didn't need to be mashed together a little while you're slipping the plate over 'em. If I'm especially tired.. or my hands are really greasy, I'll sometimes use a c-clamp and cheat a little.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You are putting undue stress on the U-bolts by using the wrong plates. You should buy the correct plates and change them ASAP.