Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Bolt Torque

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I posted a while back about some creaking I've been getting from my 83 K-5 with 4" rancho lift (all spring lift in the rear). I tightened down the rear U-bolts as tight as I could with an extra long socket wrench, and things are a little better, but not all fixed. This makes me think I'm on to something.

The thing is, the whole area is kind of rusty, so I'm partially torquing the nuts down, and partially fighting the rust. My question is, can I go crazy on these things without worrying about hurting anything? If I go at them with an impact wrench, do I need to worry about damaging the axle tube or anything like that?

Thanks!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You're trying to treat the symptom, not the source of the problem. Torque spec on 1/2 ton ubolts is only about 90 lb-ft, an impact will go to like 450 lb-ft. I'd say that you're asking for problems, either a stripped or snapped ubolt. If you ubolts are in that bad of shape pull them off, make sure the springs/spring pads are nice and clean, then reinstall with new ubolts. </font color>

3. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

you want to replace the u bolts if you can.i went with 5/8 size because i wanted to tighten them things good.i torqued themto 150lbs.but make sure they are tight.i saw a guy loose a 4inch block taking off from a stop light /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif it was a mess.

4. Mastiff

If you replace with bigger, don't you need to replace the plate too? Where would I find the parts?

Thanks.

5. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I doubt you would need to change out the plates... you're not going to a larger inner diameter. You will need to drill out the holes, however.

6. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

If you're getting "creaking" sounds from your springs while you are wheeling or especially "flexed" out it's most likely due to dirt/dust/rust in between your spring leafs. I'd try cleaning out between the springs themselves, maybe even pull them apart, hit 'em with the grinder, and then put a nice coat of paint on them. Or.....you can just get used to the "creaking" sounds....I DID!!!

As far as U-Bolt torque goes.....listen to what the guys said above....they're right....DEFINITELY DON'T OVER-TORQUE YOUR U-BOLTS.

7. Mastiff

Thanks everyone. As suggested, I will avoid overtorquing anything. I sure don't look forward to pulling the springs apart, so maybe I'll just get used to the noise until I get motivated enough to do that.