Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Bolts and Spring Plates.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 16, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok. so i know this question has been asked before and i've done a ton of research, but for some reason i cannot seem to explain what i want to have made in such a way that a company can make these for me. none of the places i've called seem to get it! i don't understand why this, a very simple concept, is so hard. :mad: can someone who has the following configuration please tell me exactly what i need to say to get these parts.

i have a 14bolt ff rearend and D44 front end out of a '78 suburban. i have procomp 4" lift springs. axle tube diameters are 3 3/8" for the 14bolt and 3" for the D44. My spring packs are 2.5" wide. My rear spring pack is 2 3/4" thick. I don't know the thickness on the front, but that it is certainly not as thick. I can see how not knowing this part might be a problem, but why can't they just make the threaded part a bit longer just to compensate and i can spend some time hacking off any excess bolt. (BTW my truck is an hour away from me, otherwise i would just measure the front springs. I don't happen to trust the measurements given to me by the person who owns the place where my truck is sitting.) Just for the record, i have 4" Procomp lift springs front and rear.

So, can someone please tell me what I need to do?

colby

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

when i ordered U-bolts, the company i got them from (carrier spring services i believe) just asked the basic questions...diameter of the bolts needed (9/16" atleast), the tube size, and length overall of the bolts. I just measured the length of my stock ubolts with a tape measure (you can use one of those cloth ones or whatever, a soft one to follow the bolt and get it pretty accurate) then figured about how much thicker my new stuff would be (zero rate=1", 2 extra leaves at about .5" = 1" extra, so 2" extra to each side) and then just added a little more to be on the safe side...did that for the front and rear, filled out the order form, needed something like 3 that were 24" long and 5 that were 28", something along those lines, gave them my debit card number and a couple weeks later they arrived. There is a few other ways to do it but if you tell them the length of the rod to start with and what dia axle tube u need, they should be able to get it done for you right the first time. BTW, mine threaded about 4" on each side of the bolt.

3. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member