Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U Bolts for 14ff. (blocks now future Springs) PLEASE READ

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Aug 1, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Ok So the subject may be confusing. Swaping in the 14FF for the 10...

I'm going to be swapping in my 14 ff axel soon. and I curently have blocks in the rear. (2.5'') but in the not to far future I'm going to put 4" springs in the rear.

I'm curious to know will the same U bolts work for the blocks and the lift springs? I just don't want to go and buy another set of U bolts if I don't have to. THANK YOU!

2. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

if they have enough extra thread on them (approx 4" minus the difference of your old spring and new springs) and if you can get the old ubolts to unbolt without beaking them. Then yes, they would work. Personally, i'd go buy new ubolts, which wont cost much and it would speed up your install because you can just cut the old ones off and also the new ones wouldn't be stretched as your old ones are. Just MY opinion.

- Jersey

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I dont think the u bolts from yer 10 bolt will work on the 14 bolt.The axle tubes are different diameters.

4. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

just read your post again and it did confuse me, even after you said it was confusing...!! haha So right now you have a 10b rear in there with 2.5" blocks and you're going to put a 14FF with 4" springs..right? Then no, old ubolts will not work. They'll be too small to go around the 14FF and the plates are on top of the springs, not the bottoms like the 10b. That's where they are on my 14FF anyway. Get new ubolts and pads. Hope this didn't confuse the issue more.

- Jersey

5. FRIZZLEFRY

Your avatar just got me busted.Thanks

6. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

couldn't type my post fast enough frizzlefry /forums/images/icons/smile.gif quick gun.

- Jersey

7. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Chris is prolly at work and certain site url's will get him busted for surfin adult sites...nice eye candy but not very appropriate for a family site IMHO.

Rene

9. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

ok. well, this isn't from an adult site - bestanimations.com - and i didn't know this was a family site. I thought it was a site for tecnical information on K5's? basically a bunch of mostly guys and women that enjoy working on their own trucks in their garage that probably have much worse hanging on the walls. But if it really offends you trusty, let me know, i'll change it. I thought he meant that his wife or girfriend say it and broke his b@lls.

- Jersey

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It takes a lot more than that to offend me...but it wouldn't be my choice for an avatar. It's not my call either, if Steve or Grimmy say change it then I would, but don't let my comments sway your decision in any way. I was guessing how/why Chris got busted...

Rene

11. DuneRunner

Thank you for the replys. I just got back from lunch.
    Nice Eye candy by the way! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Ok now that I'm all refreshed.

I currently have a 2.5 block on my 10blt. with factory springs.
    But I want to put in the 14ff in the next month or so. This weekend I'm going to buy a set of 14ff (wider and taller bolts) I understand.

But my main question is this: Will the 14ff NEW U bolts with the lift block. be reuseable with 4 inch springs? Or will I run out of threads cuz of the loss of the blocks?

I hope this is clearer. Thank you guys for the quick response... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

ok rene. and i would change it if the moderators said it was too offending for their stie. maybe i'll take a poll or something. i wouldn't want to offend or get anyone in trouble. Anyway, dunerunner - now i understand what your looking to do and my answer...i'm not sure! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Are the ubolts coming with the sprigs? if so, they'll probably be just long enough to wrap around your 14ff and new springs. if not, just measure the width of the 14bff, the width of the spring pack, add 4" for the block, 1/2 inch for the plate and and at least an inch for the nut. I think it's safer to just get them longer and cut them down after you bolt it all together. If i get a chance, i'll measure mine and post how long they are. Good luck.

- Jersey

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

DuneRunner if yer getting them made just have them add some extra tread and when you swap out the blocks to spring you can just cut off the extra. i just had a set made for something like $30 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

hey Jersey: we had a talk about girly avatars awhile ago and the some of us like'm and some of us don't. i don't think steve ever made a choice if they were to go or stay.
    but some of us surf from work and can get introuble for little stuff like that and some of us have kids looking over or shoulders at home. so if you looking for input i say please ditch the girly avatar. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. FRIZZLEFRY

I got visualy busted by a fellow "female" supervisor.I myself am not offended but avatars such as that could get me blocked from internet use here at work.

15. DuneRunner

Jersey and Beater74:
    Thank you for the imput. I think that they will be custome made. I'm going to order them from a shop in Sonora Ca.

I will for sure tell them that I want to get "2" uses out of them. One for the blocks and then cut them for the springs. the final use...

Thanks again. PS. about the chick. I don't mind at home but here at work...(maybe change it out) just my .02¢ PEACE OUT

16. FRIZZLEFRY

You can get them any legnth ya want if you have them made.Mine are the stock ones off my donor and if I had blocks I would have had to get new ones cuz there wouldnt have been enough thread.

You gonna make it to Moab with us? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Sorry. didn't mean to get you busted or offend anyone. i changed it. if this one gets anyone in trouble or offends anyone, kiss my a$$ /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Good luck with the lift dunerunner.

- Jersey

18. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif you da man!

19. DuneRunner

I feel the Same way about the beautiful RED WHITE AND BLUE. Thanks again for all the help. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

20. FRIZZLEFRY

Thanks for changin that.I would hate to not be able to hang out in here at work /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Sorry fer hijacking yer post Ken /forums/images/icons/smile.gif