Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u-bolts for a gm 14-bolt and a dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coincidentally, Jun 7, 2002.

1. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

I recently got all the u-bolts made for the 14-bolt/dana 60 axle swap I am doing on my 84 K10 blazer. I feel as though the bolts got made wrong though, because they fit kind of loosely over the axles.

I told them to make:
    4 3 3/8" ID bolts for the 14-bolt
    3 3 1/4" ID bolts for the dana 60
    1 4" ID bolt for the dana 60

But all of them seem to fit loosely. I measured with tape measure the ones for the 14-bolt, and i got them as being 3 1/2" , not 3 3/8" of an inch. Is that fine? I assumed the bolts should fit flush/snug against the axle housing.

Also, is the u-bolt plate (the plate that goes over the springs to "sandwich" the leaf springs between the plate and the axle) that comes on the 10-bolt supposed to work on the 14 bolt? or do I need to find a plates from a 1-ton truck?

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

My personal opinion would be that the u-bolts should be snug fitting to the axle tubes, but maybe someone else can lend their opinion on this?

As for the spring plates - the 10 bolt plate will not fit the 14 bolt u-bolts unless you want to "hog out" the holes in it. Some guys do this and make it work. I would either look at your junkyard for some 14 bolt plates or buy new ones. If you are interested, I can sell you mine! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I had a set of 14 bolt spring plates made way back when I did this swap, and I never did use them (I forgot I even had them and never took the time to swap the old ones out). They are brand new and custom made by the 4x4 Doctor here in Burbank, CA. PM me if you want them, I was asking $25 for them...

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

This comes at a good time I had the same question hope we get an answer.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Double check the measurements on the u-bolts. I would bet the shop that made the u-bolts just "rounded" them off to the common size, or just made them slightly larger to make them easier to install. JMHO. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just a little curious why you would have had 4 u-bolts made for a D60. There are only 3 u-bolts on a D60 along with 2 bolts on the passenger side going downward into the pumpkin area of the front diff. You sure you don't have a D44, they use 4 u-bolts.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

TTT, is someone confused about what front diff they have? Wes, I am surprised you overlooked what he said.