Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u bolts for axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, May 20, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, sorry to make so many posts, but i wabt to keep these seperated so i can follow them better.

when i ordered my lift kit, i had no idea i was getting new axles. i am assuming the ubolt kits that came with the lift are not going to fit the new axles.

it looks like the one kit will fit fine for the dana 44 front, but the other kit wont even begin to fit around the 14 boolt.

thanks

tom

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep....you will need new u-bolts for the 14BFF. You will need u-bolts with an inside diameter of 3-3/8". Make sure you get them long enough for any lift block, thick springs, or zero-rate you might be using.

You can get them from your local spring shop or order them online. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

thank you sir. so i was correct in saying that the dana 44 u bolts are fine?

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thank you sir. so i was correct in saying that the dana 44 u bolts are fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

The front u-bolts will work as long as your D44 isn't an early model.....like '71 or '72. Those axles had tubes that were only 2.75" in diameter. Later D44's and 10 bolts have tubes that measure 3". /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

cool. i really want to get on the road before the summer is over.

1. put in new engine i just got

2. get inspected

3. axle swap

4. install lift kit

5. throw on the new 35" tires

start the clock and lets see how long it takes

any bets

ill bet three years with my knowledge

lol

6. jon84cj

jon84cj Registered Member

The front is actually a thinner tube than the 10 bolt, so I guess it is an early model but supposedly from an '80 model?? Guess it is not then? Any disadvantages to this 44? It is an 8 lug but is it really HD if it has thinner tubes than the 10 bolt?

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh come on, it shouldnt take near all summer. If you have 2 weeks set to just work on your truck, you should be able to get it done in that time. I took my engine out and put a new one in in a week and a half (that was starting at about 12 noon, and ending at about 5 and also the 4 day period it took to re-build the engine). I also installed (at a different time I may add) a 14 ff, lift, brake lines, driveshafts, swaybar quick disconnects, and new wheels and tires in almost a day (it would have only taken a day, but I got off to a late start and had to work for about 2 hours the next day on it). I had also never done an engine swap before, or put on a lift before. So, I guess you need to tell us how much time you have to work on it continuosly before we can give you real estimates.
    -Harrison

8. rickmack1

rickmack1 Registered Member

I think that Ive been working on my Blazer for almost four years.This is the project that my whole family has worked with and they are just as anxious to see it finished as I am. The long walks that Dianne had to endure to bring me cold beer, Devon learning the difference between a "Phillips" head and a "flat" head screwdriver....he describes it as the plus or minus one. Jacob learning to put his Little Tykes car on blocks to match "the truck".

All I'm saying is, build it slow and build it right.

Built....not bought!

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12562&password=0&sort=1&cat=9590&page=1

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Engine-2 days max

Lift- a couple hours max

Axle swap- A couple hours max

Hint- Torch the old U-bolts since you have new ones. Save an hour or so of fighting with the old crap. Since your dropping everything basically even a dumb a$$ can do it realatively quick. I can do a front axle swap in an hour including bleeding the brakes and drinking a beer. Air tools help alot too. Don't have air-Borrow it. Someone you know has to have atleast a pancake compressor. I give my left Testy to have everything I needed on hand like that. Have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

You should have it done by end of summer unless you get some bad parts. If the engine was done properly or was running before being yanked give it a couple days. Clean up everything and put new mounts in. The suspension lift is done at same time as putting the axles in. New bushings! Taking your time a day per axle. I just got done putting my truck together and it took me about 10 months. That was just working every saturday and running into a lot of problems. Mostly engine problems. The axle swap suspension and xcase were the easiest thing on the truck. Very quick. If you spent 8 hrs per day all that could be done in a week. Get a friend like I did and it makes it a lot easier. My friend swapped 2 engines in a day. The next day he did both his axles and a xcase can be done in just a few hours.

11. jon84cj

[ QUOTE ]
    Engine-2 days max

Lift- a couple hours max

Axle swap- A couple hours max

Hint- Torch the old U-bolts since you have new ones. Save an hour or so of fighting with the old crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not far off!!! I will be helping him, we have air tools, and this isnt gonna take but a couple weeks. While there are a few issues we have to resolve (front axle tube diameter, making new brake lines, new engine installation garbage, mostly getting around emissions crap) I foresee this being a really easy project. He forgot to mention he has a certified mechanic helping as well as my dumb ass, not to mention a large compressor and plenty of air tools, other tools and a quite large garage. I would give this project a few weeks MAX from start to finish. I was worse though when I started on my first bronco project years ago (it never got done and I parted it out, but don't tell him that.) He will have pictures of the finish product in a few weeks. He didn't mention he is changing out the grill to new style at the same time, we have a slight hint of bodywork to do, and then all the time he needs to devote to help me on my jeep now, jk. I think by the end of the summer I will also want a blazer and he will also want a jeep. Thats always the way it is. Wish us luck. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He didn't mention he is changing out the grill to new style at the same time,

[/ QUOTE ]My buddy did his core support, grill, rewire swap in a day by himself. The wiring colors pretty much match right up. With that many monkeys F'n that football you should make your 2 weeks time frame.

13. jon84cj

I wanted to bring this part up again since it has me confused:

When I dropped a u-bolt on the old 10B and new D44, the D44 was definately a smaller diameter... The front is actually a thinner tube than the 10 bolt, so I guess it is an early model but supposedly from an '80 model?? Guess it is not then? Any disadvantages to this 44? It is an 8 lug but is it really HD if it has thinner tubes than the 10 bolt?

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wanted to bring this part up again since it has me confused:

When I dropped a u-bolt on the old 10B and new D44, the D44 was definately a smaller diameter... The front is actually a thinner tube than the 10 bolt, so I guess it is an early model but supposedly from an '80 model?? Guess it is not then? Any disadvantages to this 44? It is an 8 lug but is it really HD if it has thinner tubes than the 10 bolt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a tape measure or calipers and measure each axle to verify the tube diameter. If it were me, I would use the correct size u-bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. jon84cj

Well the tubes are definitely 2.75". So is the tubing thicker or the same? Same size axleshafts? Would be curious to know in case we feel like pulling out some spares at the junkyard. One of the shock mounts is torn off on the 44, anyone know of an online place for Tom to order a weld on replacement without having to cut one off the 10 bolt?