Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-bolts on 14 bolt FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 5, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Are the u-bolts for a 14 bolt FF different from the 10 bolt? If I need new u-bolts for the bigger axle, do I have to get a new plate that sits on top of the springs? I'm new to all this 3/4 ton mumbo jumbo. This will definately be a learning experience for me.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Definitely get the upper plate if you can. The U-bolts for a 14 bolt will need to be bigger to accomodate the larger axle tube diameter (3 3/8" O.D.)

Rene

[​IMG]

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I will try to find those plates for you. I know I have some somewhere, just have to find them. They are bigger than 1/2 ton and the rear u-bolts you will need will measure 3 3/8" x 11". I dont have these since I left them on the 86 when I lowered it.

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

You do not need to buy new plates. You will need new U bolts, but if you plan on using your existing 1/2 Ton springs, then stick with the 1/2 Ton Spring Plates too.

When I did my conversion (10b to 14ff), I got new U-bolts from Steve over at ORD, and re-used the stock spring plates.
    All I had to do was squeeze the U-bolts together a little to get them into the 1/2 plate's holes.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I had u-bolts made locally, then I just took a die grinder and enlarged the holes on the plates that came with my Rancho system.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

6. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

When I did my 10 to 14 conversion I used the bigger plates. They fit just fine. Squeezing u-bolts together may work for now, but it doesn't seem like the best solution.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, thats true. When you squeeze u-bolts together like that, you are not giving the nuts a "square seating" for them to sit on the plates. The nuts will sit crooked, almost like an angle. You need to make sure your nuts sit flat on the plates.

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Hope you can find the plates. Glad I asked about the u-bolts. Would have felt really stupid getting home and the u-bolts wouldn't fit. LOL Thanks

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

9. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

The plates and u-bolts are different size.I recently did the 10 bolt to 14FF swap. The u-bolts are $13 each at the dealer. I bought a Skyjacker U-bolt kit.( actually, it was the U-bolt/bushing kit for a Skyjacker lift).I dont have any part #'s though, sorry.
    I will say, the biggest pain in the a$$ with this swap was finding the right springplate part# at the dealer.Their was like 5 different springplates that they said would fit my 14ff.And none of they're part #'s have measurements in they're computer.AND, most dealers(around me anyway) dont have these in stock.Later...

P.S. I you havent bought the used 14ff yet, try and get the springplates when you do.The U-bolts are easy to find.

One From None