Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint Angles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryeguy, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

What are you guys running for rear driveshaft U-joint angles. I'm at the equivalent of 11 inches suspension lift, and U-joint angles (non-CV) around around 27 degrees at normal ride height. Running 1-ton U-joints...having fun clearancing the yokes for enough travel...

--Rob

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have a K5, good luck with that much lift, you're going to have severe problems.

My buddy has a LWB pickup with a 4 speed and we've never had a problem with rear driveshafts staying in it, even without clearancing. The front driveshaft is our next challenge.

Good luck.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would say get rid of atleast 3" and go from there, because by the time you get the rear one correct by dropping the transfer case a few inches the front will be way off and bind up all the time. IF you want to use 4 wheel drive you will need to go slow because it will fling driveshafts all the time.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Taking _any_ lift out of the truck isn't an option. Neither is dropping the T-case.

The front driveshaft angles are perfect (we reclocked the NP205). Unmodified Ford 1-ton CV (1330) has enough remaining droop to keep me happy.

The issues are only with the rear driveshaft (only some 26 inches long). I've got enough travel in the joints for "normal" driving, it doesn't bind until I get into severe droop situations (what I'm trying to deal with, trying to avoid running a limiting strap). Just curious what other people are doing with lots of lift.

Haven't put my foot into it yet 'cause I dunno how strong the 1350 joint on the rear shaft will be at that angle.

--Rob

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ryeguy on 11/22/01 01:43 PM.</FONT></P>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know it's spendy but Jesse at High-Angle drivline can make a CV shaft that will run at 80 degrees...could be the solution you're looking for.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene,

Sent Jesse an email, waiting to hear back for what he recommends.

--Rob

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No problem...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>