Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint brand questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Sep 13, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Have you guys heard of Precision or Brute Force u-joints? Those are the only brands offered in my college town. Are these any good?

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ive used the brute force joints before, I had one fail on me within two weeks of installing it, It may have been operator and not equipment though. So they may hold up just fine. Still, i wont use them again. Now I have spicer joints in there. pep boys wanted $15 each for brute force and a local driveline shop sold me the spicers for $10 each. spicer part # 5-153X.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have two Brute Force joints in my rear driveshaft. They're holding up fine - no vibs/breakage yet.
    I also have two Precision joints sitting in the boxes. These are for my front axleshafts. So, as you can see, I can't really give you an overview of their performance. I can tell you that they look pretty though - does that help?
    I did some looking around, and those are the brands most places in my area carry. I take this to mean that both are good brands and make quality u-joints.

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks and by the way its a stock K5 if that helps.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SPICER SPICER SPICER
    Even if you have to mail order them from like ORD.
    I have heard good things about Napa's premium brand too.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Spicer, PERIOD. Accept no others unless you spend more time at the mall than in 4WD...

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

BadDog, I'm happy that you're so brand specific. BUT, with a stock K5 drivetrain and probably 30" tires, u-joints other than spicer will work just fine. YOU might not have good luck with these brands, but you're turning 42's and locked axles.

8. BadDog

Very good points. However, Spicer is not that much more, and, if someone is looking for the best joint for the money, I think that's it...

9. BadDog

Hmm, just re-read and he said that all he could get in his town were those. So, I'll stay out of it. Your right, by the time he pays for shipping and has to wait, with a relatively stock truck, I would probably do the same thing he is and find the best easily available. I'll crawl back under my rock now... Please ignore me... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Don't feel like you were wrong, BadDog. We all have our favorite brands - me included. I simply replied to your comment in order to let 88K5Jimmy know that he doesn't need a Spicer joint for his application. In fact, I'm glad you spoke up with your suggestion/opinion. That way, other people reading this thread will see that there are other good brands, like Spicer, available.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Probably true for his app, but make one change...(including a full time case in a stock truck)...and I'd say get the Spicer.
    That said, last time I swapped my u-joints I put a Brute Force in one side and a Spicer in the other. Neither has broken, yet. It is a little experment of mine.

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your input!!

13. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

nepco joints are very good...as good if not better quality of spicer...i could kill a spicer joint twice as fast as a nepco joint...the drive line shop i buy em at they sell both and both the guys in there have jeeps and run the rubicon, fourdice, deer valley etc etc many times a year and use nothin but nepco joints...

14. BadDog

Oh, I don't feel like I was wrong. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I still say the Spicer is the best value for the money, as long as you don't have to pay shipping and wait. If I was not that hard on them, small tires, has to pay shipping and wait, I would probably go with whatever looked best and not be concerned. I've had bad luck with some odd brands years ago and I just don't see much point with the Spicer joints so close in price to other “heavy duty” (or whatever they want to call them) options. Stepping up from Spicers there are a few options, generally several times (or more) the cost, but, that’s more than I feel I need. Chaz said Nepco is good, no idea, never ran nepco. So far, I'm quite happy with the Spicers... Some people like GMs, some like Fords… Everyone has to make the best initial decision they can based on hear-say or “research” and then go from there. Use whatever you have access for and works for you. If the local joints don’t get it, it’s time for mail order… It’s all good as your using it… Good luck whatever you run...

15. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

stick with dana
    went through 2 napa "heavy duty" in a month
    changed to spicer, and still going strong 6 months later locked 10 bolts with 33 mt's
    best joint for the money
    there is always something stronger, but at what cost?
    besides, dont want them "to" strong, need a cheap and easy place for something
    to give. "fuses"

16. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I havent looked into this for the Blazer yet but I know drag racers will use non greaseable joints alot. That way there is no internal passages in them. Its just solid metal. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Personally I like to run a cheaper joint. Id rather have a Ujoint twist off rather than a major part, like a pinion, shaft, or front axle joint. Call it controlled breakage I guess. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Crawlers will most likely disagree because if ANY part fails it could land them on their lid. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

My buddy ran the cheapest bolts he could get on the front flange of his Yota and just kept a bag of them in his tool box. His wife had a bad habit of breaking joints in the mud so he went that way. He hear the bolts break and the shaft slam around, and his wife would come in. Hed throw in some new bolts and dive back in. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the story on the incredibly glass jawed 297 joint is that Spicer subcontracted Neapco to make them.

18. bigjbear

I've got Neapco in the front drive shaft for my 203 right now. I've heard they are good, but this is the first time I've used them. I only have two trips on them so I can't say much.

19. bigjbear

mj (or anyone else), have you ever looked at a Spicer 5-297X from about 20 years ago and compared it to one from about 2 years ago? I know Spicer changed them again this year, but I haven't used one of the new ones yet. As far as the old (1980) 297 it looked more heavy duty than the new (2000) Spicer one I was putting in. That is when I went and got one of the Brute Force joints. It looked more like the old Spicer I was taking out. Your comment made me wonder again. Anyone have some input on this? Also, for those that don't know Brute Force and Neapco are both brands from the same co. and both are made in the USA.

20. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anybody know where the Precision ones are made?

Thanks