Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u-joint carnage pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jul 31, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

At least your slipyoke and shaft survived. Mine was totally distroyed. Nothing was reusable. The only thing that survived was the #447 conversion joint, and then I lost the caps to it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Oops.

Nice carnage though.

Harley

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

come on, where is the story, there has to a story

so there i was......

4. 85mudblazin

ok so there I was one late night I was at a stop sign about to turn right and KKAAABBBOOOMMM crap went flying I get out look under the truck and there is no driveshaft I look around and there it is about 6ft away luckly I was only about 4 blocks from my house so I drove it home in 4wd leaving a tranny fluid trail, the slip yoke was went and I bent it back with a vise as best I could but I got some pretty bad vibes know so I am going to get a cv shaft built. Turns out the grease had left the caps in the u-joints and it just couldnt take it anymore and they failed. Thats what you get for crappy u-joints. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

talked to a drag racer that done the same thing with a brute force joint that was 3 weeks old, said the bearings in the two caps where a grey powder... He popped the shaft at the rear yoke 3/4 the ways down the strip... still finished at 109mph /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. 85mudblazin

That makes me feel alot better because I replaced them with brute force joints /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif They were the strongest ones the auto parts store had, they could of got spicer but I needed to use my truck that day and they had to order them, maybe he just got a bad batch, all well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Staps loadthe caps unevenly and cause them to be slightly oval. Makes them run hot and burn the grease out. U'bolts are better bucause the load the caps more even. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif