Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joint change 101

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grindkings, Jan 2, 2005.

1. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

As you can see I don't know how to change my U-Joints. I pretty new to the 4x4 field. Just can some tell me how to change my front U-Joints.? I beileve its my front that needs to be changed.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

3. grindkings

okay thanks. Now how do i get my drive shaft off?

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

which one?

There are several u-joints in the front- Are you talking about the drive shaft u-joint by the axle?

5. grindkings

Yea in the front on the drive shaft. I have bolts on my drive shaft that conects to the u-joints. Can i just take to bolts out? with the join't just fall out then withought beating on it?

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you undo the bolt the drive shaft will come off.

you now have half the joint out follow the steps in the link above to remove the other side.

it is the same proceduer for drive shaft joints as it is for axles

good luck:thumb:

7. DieselSub

DieselSub Registered Member

Here's a few things I'd do differently than the Pirate4x4 write up...

1) You'll probably be at home, so use a bench vice to press in and out the bearing caps.
    2) If you're going to use a hammer to bang the bearing caps on or off, support the area around the cap opposite the one you're banging on with a socket, such that the bearing cap will fall into the big socket, and the sides of the socket will support the "ears" of the axle shaft.
    3) Clean up the inside of the "ears" on the axle shaft (where the bearing caps go into) with sandpaper so that there are no burs. Burs, nicks, roughness, rust, etc. will make installation that much more difficult.
    4) Make sure the clips that retain the bearing caps on "really in". Sometimes they look like they are in, but are almost there and will pop out when you need them most.
    5) If you can use 3/4 clips, instead of the 1/2 clips, they are much better.

Also:
    1) Read the instructions that come with your u-joints. For example, my Spicers said not to add grease and to be very careful about keeping each cap matched to the bearing end it came off of. Of course, if you are using greasable u-joints, grease them after installation.