Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint extraction tool??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Feb 23, 2004.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Don't have much experience with changing u-joints, did it once on a front axle shaft at home, C-clamp/socket thing didn't work, ended up using my pitman arm puller and a socket to push on the cap. All in all, due to a lot of unprintable language that accompanied this process, I'd rather not try this again in public.

Then again, I might be forced to do it again due to trail breakage. So I figured there's gotta be a tool, search the net, and come up with two that peeked my interest: a u-joint extraction kit from TigerTool, about $200, and a tool from Harbor Freight for $30 (and I can't figure out from the pic how it would work).

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two, or know about some other alternatives - I appreciate the input, thanks, michael

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I got the one from Harbor Freight several years ago. I forget the exact price but that's about what I paid. It's worked well so far, no complaints. I can't see spending 2 bills on a u-joint tool /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif In the past I used a bench vice. Kind of a pain, but it was the best way at the time.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. jms

[ QUOTE ]
    All you need is a hammer and socket....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm. This was exactly how/when the unprintable language came into play last time I tried this..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    All you need is a hammer and socket....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm. This was exactly how/when the unprintable language came into play last time I tried this..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear ya, the first couple joints i did this way were a major PITA and included lots of foul language. but now that i have done about 6 or so joints it's actually REALLY easy with a hammer and socket. you just kind of have to learn what the easiest way is to do it. and the easiest way to learn is to do it. over, and over, and over, and over. . . /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, once you've done a few then you can do them with your eyes closed! Hell, I remember my first one. I totally forgot about the C-clips, so obviously I couldn't figure out why the sumbitch wasn't coming out. Finally I started sawing on the joint attempting to cut it out, when I saw the damn clips! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. pineyjon

pineyjon Registered Member

ive used a ball joint press.i bought one for about $150

8. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Try getting one of these, they are good for both u-joints and ball joints joint service tool

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I keep the HF one in my trail box. It works great and is the only way I've been able to realy old axle joints out w/o swearing at least once.

10. jms

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go with the HF stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

This is the way we do it at the shop I work at so it works good for me on the trail too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif