Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint gurus help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, May 14, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am working on a '79 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with a 700/203/12bolt

Well, my rear driveshaft arrived today. The driveshaft is from a '78 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I believe with a 350/203/12bolt. I went to install it today and the rear joint is wrong, the cups are too big and too far apart to fit my yoke on the rear end, went to store to just get a new one. Come home and realize that this one is wrong only external clips. The joint that came out of the shaft has internal clips on the rear end yoke and external clips in the shaft. I found a joint that is the correct size but it only has external clips, my rear yoke does not have the ears to hold the cups on the joint. My parts store went through every joint they had for a Chevy and no matches, I need a joint with small cups, internal clips on two cups and external clips on the other two cups. Am I missing something or did the PO by any chance change the rear end yoke? Any help would be greatly appreciated, if not the I am just going to put it in and crank the Sh*t out of the straps and hope I don't lose a cup. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. Okiemuddog

Come on!13,121 reg. users, and no one can answer this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know which ujoint to tell you to use, but you could change the yoke to what aparently is the newer 12 bolt yoke that your d-shaft is setup for, or switch to the 10 bolt yoke which is supposed to have a little bigger ujoint. Then you use the Napa conversion joint. I think it is number 348, but not sure on that.

4. Okiemuddog

Okay, I have a 10 bolt front that I just sold the gears out of so I have got to pull the yoke anyway. Are 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear yokes swappable. Basically can I take my yoke off and put the yoke from the 10 front on?

The next qusestion, is the 12 rear supposed to have ears on the side of the yoke to hold the cups or do the straps just hold them on?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

i don't know about the swapability between front 10 bolt yoke to 12 bolt (some I am sure does)

as far as holding the cups on I have only seen the c-clips on the inside, the yoke with ears and the outside c-clips.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

shoot me a pm i think i have the adapter ujoint nu in my collection but ya may not get it till friday
    or better still do ya have a napa store near by ???
    if so go to it or go to your best drive shaft shope with your yoke and your shaft and they might have the right 1 4 ya
    hope it helps
    randy

7. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

Lakewood makes "adaptor" u-joints. You can find them at most real speed shops. Also, look on line, Lakewood is part of Mr. Gasket.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I wonder if that's why the drivline that you gave me had the cups welded in /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

9. Okiemuddog

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif That wasn't me on that one, John, I claim my rig ups. that one was all the PO's doing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I know that wasn't you did that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was alluding that the PO must of had some issues w/ u joints, or more than likely the cups would not have been welded. Hey, the party is on for Saturday, by the way. Can I expect you, around noonish? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

John