Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u joint help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cuzinjay, Mar 25, 2004.

1. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

I need a brand/part # for a u joint 1/2t shaft to 3/4t 14bolt.
    I know I seen it here but I'm blue agin and can't git it.

Also how far should the slipyoke be slid into the 205 at ride hight? My 3/4 ton sits at full droop because of the siff springs.

Thanx, hope to finish the 8" lift tomorrow.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Napa #447 is the joint I used fof my 14bff conversion. I converted from a 10 bolt to 14bff. I have heard the Napa #348 is for the 12 bolt to 14bff. I don't know that for sure though.

Harley

3. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifWhat do you wanna lift it 8" for? What year is the 1/2 ton shaft? Believe it or not the 12bolt and the 10bolt have different size yokes. If it's a 10bolt yoke, it is the same size as a 14bolt yoke.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 10 bolt does not use the 1350 yoke like most 14bff use, otherwise a conversion ujoint would not be necessary for the swap. The only exception might be a 10 bolt driveshaft from a truck with a manual trans.

Yes, 10 and 12 bolts have different size ujoints. That is why a 12 bolt driveshaft needs a different number conversion joint.

Harley

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard the Napa #348 is for the 12 bolt to 14bff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You heard correctly. I used the #348 to switch from 12 bolt to 14BFF. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All of the more common Neapco u joint part numbers are posted in the section below the bloody knuckle in the post "post yer part numbers".

That said....

A 10 bolt can and does use a 1350 series joint from the factory if it is in a factory 4 speed truck according to my u joint catalog, although I've never seen this in actual application.

Keep in mind:

10 bolt = Saginaw S44 joint
    12 bolt = Spicer 1310 series
    14 bolt = Spicer 1350 series.

7. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A 10 bolt does not use the 1350 yoke like most 14bff use, otherwise a conversion ujoint would not be necessary for the swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's strange, my 14bff bolted right up to my 10b driveshaft using the same exact u-joint that the 10bolt had used.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    A 10 bolt does not use the 1350 yoke like most 14bff use, otherwise a conversion ujoint would not be necessary for the swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's strange, my 14bff bolted right up to my 10b driveshaft using the same exact u-joint that the 10bolt had used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did your truck come from the factory with a manual or auto tranny? I'd bet manual...and in that case, mystery solved...it was stated above that some manual-tranny equipped trucks came with 1350 10 bolt yokes/u-joints.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I converted mine from 10 bolt to 14bff and it needed and still does need the conversion u-joint, mine has the auto trans though.
    Pain in the butt to get too, Napa has them some of the time, other parts stores need to order them in, and they are much more expensive.

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, I should have added that too /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I've done the 10bolt-to-14boltFF conversion and used Napa #447. Bought myself a trail-spare too because I know they can be hard to come by.

11. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

Thanx, guys hope to finish up this morning.
    Picked up a total of 7.5 in the front and 6.5 rear sits nice.That is about right to me for a long bed truck.Going to run 38.5 hawgs and don' want too much /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif.
    The last one I cut the fenders on ended up rotting all to hell from road salt here. n.y. is about the worst in the rust belt.

p.s time to renew membership too much good info in boody knuckles section. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif