Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u-joint help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MY85GMC, Jul 11, 2001.

1. MY85GMC

MY85GMC Registered Member

I'm taking down my np208 to change the shifting fork because its jumps out of two High...so ya know i disconect the rear drive shaft...hum looks like these are original u-joints...thats wierd...take them off and i dont see how these things are still alive there was no grease in them whatsoever....so i get up fron and get the front drive shaft off and those u-joints look fried too...now on my truck there seems to be three u-joints the two closest to the t-case dont have clips on them like most u-joints i've seen...it looks more like a pin driven through each cap. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I have no idea how to get them off but i am definately in need of changing the u-joints while i have all of this down

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

If they are the factory joints then thay are held in by plastic injected thru those holes, thats what looks like a pin, you need to press them out and sheer the plastic, the replacement joints wll have clips around the caps that will hold them in.

RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

The factory u-joints have a nylon ring in them to help hold them in place. Just use a vice with a large socket on one side and a nut on the other side to force it loose, it'll take some effort. Be ready for the loud bang when it breaks loose, sort of like a gun going off.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You might be looking at the CV joint on the front driveshaft (no profile info, but I'm assuming it's an 85 Jimmy, which I THINK had front CV joint at TC). If that doesn't have proper tension (like it can flop around easily without effort), it should be rebuilt. I know it's outlined in the Haynes manual how to rebuild it, but I've never done one myself, so can't help here... It's not as simple as two u-joints, though, there's a ball in the center of the joint...

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**