Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joint in place of Rag Joint who did it?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Sep 1, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok well the beast is up and running again, I was so excited I was about to mess my britches. Anyway, plan was to drive down the street and around the back and put the top in the back yard. WELL AS ALL GOES WITH THESE OLD TRUCKS got to the end of the street after having gunned it all the way down, turned and felt funny, went to turn in the alley and the wheel just span. the rag joint fell apart. Just glad it didn't happen on the highway or in town driving. Anyway

Point is

Who was it on here that did the conversion of putting a solid U joint in place of the rag joint? And is it still functioning well or should I go back to the floppy rag joint? Did a search and couldn't find the post.

2. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I have done this conversation....your truck should have 36 by 3/4 spline on the steering coluam and 30 by 3/4 at the steering gear...I also had 18 1/2 inches from both shafts with 2" of body lift...I have manual steering I think the spline count and everything is the same...I love my u-joints I will never go back to rags again...Borgeson sent me a 24" telesoic shaft that you cut to length...I paid 236.00 bucks for everthing... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Call borgeson at 860 482 8283

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Les,

I've got the Borgeson on mine too..... not sure I'd pay $250+ again if given the chance (didn't seem to make much difference over a functioning rag joint) but it looks cool, and maybe it will hold up better under harsh wheeling conditions???

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Wasn't there some van or something that came with this factory? Any alternatives?

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Is this the thread you are talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif