Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u joint issues on '76 k5....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chops76, May 17, 2005.

1. chops76

chops76 Registered Member

anybody got words on how to keep a 1976 blazer with only a 6" suspension lift with 35's from chompin' up u - joints???i drive this thing daily and its starting to nickel and dime the sh!t out of me..ha....any soutions... : :D

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You might try adding some 1" spacers beteen the crossmember and frame to lower the rear output of the t-case a bit. I ran mine like this for a long time when it was a dd. One down side to this is that it makes your front driveshaft angle a bit steeper. Not so much a problem on the front though.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Are you angles correct? Get it fixed and drive up here by me and we can do a little wheeling

4. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

2 things one has already been mentioned by dropping your t-case and also make sure your driveline is balanced if it is not you will burn up u-joints like there is no tomorrow the angles also do matter alot so i would check all of the above.

5. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

i have a 76 w/6in lift .rear pinion prolly needs to get rotated down.i'm going to get a cv joint in it.should fix it.since its a 76 its prolly full time 4x4 so u don't want a worse front drive line angle by droping the T-case imo

6. chops76

thanks eveybody for your replies....i already have the 1" spacers for the transfercase plate....how can you check to see if the angle is correct? i am currently in the process of converting the full time np203 to 4x2 with the conversion kit...since the drive shaft will be out , this would problably be the best time to make adjustments...i am also looking into the c.v. jointed drive shafts as well..anybody know where i can pick one up or how much they run???

7. chops76

thanks for the info...yeah, i dont want to drop the transfercase anymore than it already is...i already have the 1" spacers...i am looking into the c.v. jointed drive shafts as well..know where i can get one or how much they run?

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have a '90 K5 and just put a 4" lift on a couple of months ago. That thing vibrated like crazy. I hated driving it. Yesterday I got my new shaft with a CV joint and now it drives perfect. No vibration at all. Definitely the route to go.

9. chops76

hey, where can i get one and about how much did it run ya??thanks man

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Got mine from Rye Valley Oil and Gear in Sugar Grove, VA. I'm from MS and they came highly recommended. Ask for Ronnie. He was a great help. 866-793-6451

11. chops76

about how much did the drive shaft run??