Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joint on Right front Axle???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LIFSVR7, May 4, 2003.

1. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

OK, I noticed the U-Joint the connects the axles together on the right front tire is worn.. I was looking at it and how in the hell do I change them>?? THey look like the are part of the outer axle (if that is what they are called) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.. DO I just have to get another outher axle or what??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You need a service manual for your blazer/truck.
    It will show you how to remove the lockout hubs, how to remove the spindle and how to remove the axleshaft.
    Once the axleshaft is out, you will need to replace the ujoint. It is a ujoint just like in a driveshaft.

This is a great time to repack your wheel bearing because you will be removing them.
    I recommend replacing the ujoint in both side of the axle.
    -- Mike

3. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif wow I have to take off the spindle.... I hear those really suck... Especially if it has never been done, and the truck is 22yrs old... Don't you need some special tools... like a joint splitter or something?? As you can tell I don't know much of sh*t about some things... P.S. I have a chilton's
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You will need a 4WD spindle nut to remove the nut holding the rotor on the spindle. One will fit 1/2 and 3/4 tons, and another will fit the 1 ton models. Local parts store should have one, or most places (Autozone for one), should have it as a free tool rental. It would also be a good time to get/borrow/loan a ball-joint/u-joint press for removing/installing the front u-joints. Lots-o-rags, wheel bearing grease, brake cleaner, rotor seals, and patience should also be added to the list. While your under there, you should inspect rotors, calipers, and pads as this will be the easiest time to fix/replace them, as well as ball-joints. If the truck has any/unknown miles on it, you should replace them anyway. You will have everything torn apart that is needed to do them anyway, and if you get the balljoint press (used for pressing out u-joints) you will already have one of the two tools needed for the balljoints (the other is the balljoint adjuster sleeve socket...also available at local autopart store). It may cost a little more $$, but now IS the time to do it and will save $$ in the end. PM if you have specific questions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif