Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joint Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88bblazen, Oct 14, 2004.

1. 88bblazen

88bblazen Registered Member

I had my drive shaft rebuild after it was ejected from its place on my vehicle. And the u-joints they put in are loose which is makin the drive shaft vibrate. My question is i got this drive shaft from a junk yard. Is there any way i can find out what exactly u-joint goes to that drive shaft sorry for the long question help if any. <font color="blue"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

What did the driveshaft come out of??

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

#1 fill out your profile

#2 what kind of truck is this? automatic?

#3 It sounds as if your driveshaft's yokes are shot and needing replacement.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I took mine to a reputable machine shop who measured the ends to find out what size u joint went in, maybe you could try that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 88bblazen

88bblazen Registered Member

Its an 88 fullsize Automatic 4x4 350 blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

You have the wrong driveshaft and u-joint most likely. Your 88 should have a GM Corporate 10-bolt rear-end and comes with a driveshaft that uses a 3R Sagnaw style u-joint that has 1.125 inch diameter caps on it and uses the inside snap rings and is retained on the yoke with straps, not u-bolts. Earlier Blazers (Some ‘81’s, ‘80’s and older) came with GM Corporate 12-bolt rear ends, and used 1310 u-joints that have 1.0625 inch diameter caps on them and use outside snap rings. If your used shaft came from an older Blazer then the u-joint will be loose in the yoke on the rear-end.

Fill out your profile, so we know more about you and your truck!

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Baja Blazer is absolutely right, however, a '70s driveshaft just won't bolt right into a 1988 truck, so I doubt that's the problem.