Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Timmer_71, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Timmer_71

Timmer_71 Registered Member

Just recently my '78 Blazer started to shake/vibrate when I get up to around 50mph+ This only seems to happen after it shifts into 3rd and only when I am on the gas. When I let off it there is no more vibration. I am thinking that this is because one or more of my u-joints are going bad. What I can't seem to figue out is how to determine which one it is? What is a good method to figure this out?

2. codeman

codeman Registered Member

Just replace both of them. It's cheap and easy.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well you can visually inspect them, then you can unload the weight of them and try wiggling them, if there is movement they're bad.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I would replace both if I was you. My 91 was doing the same thing and it ended up being the front one. I know b/c it blew and took the slip yoke and the yoke on my D-shaft with it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I changed both on the back after that. So, moral of the story is get it/them fixed, don't keep riding with it.