Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u joint question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hd-10, Feb 8, 2005.

1. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

whats the best way to pull the old u joints out of the front axle shafts mine are on pertty good. would it be the same way as using a socket and hammer?
    also what is a good u joint out there to replace them with? and one more question can the u joint on a stock front driveshaft from the H yok side be replaced?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Best way is to use a press.

5-760x spicers are the best to put in your front axle.

Yes the front driveshaft joints can be replaced, absolutely.

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

don't use a press...

The best way to remove the U-joints is with a socket and hammer, especially if they are in there real solid. Using a press to remove U-joints will usually bend the yoke ears on axle shafts, especially the 1/2 ton axles.

When I do axle shafts (I don't worry about drive shafts, because the ears are usually stiffer) I measure the distance between the yoke ears w/ a pair of calipers before I remove the joint. After I remove the joint I measure it again to see how much, if any, the ears have bent in. If they are bent in I bend them back using a socket, 1/2" bolt, nut and washer to make a separating type press between the ears.

You don't have to be this anal...but it will drastically improve u-joint life and help the joint "seat" correctly in the yoke.

I do, however, use a press for reassembly.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, there is a "tool" that is a spacer to keep the ears from "crushing" when you press them out. Probably make one fairly easy, just have to get the distance right.

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

That's a good idea...I've never seen one, but I'll have to make one...that would save a lot of time!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never bent one, and I've pressed on them pretty hard.

You just have to be careful not to put too much pressure on it. Use only what's necessary.

7. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Do you guys all have press's in your garages? Or do you take it somewhere and have them press it out? Or is there some sort of u-joint press tool you can use? I have to replace a u-joint on my front drive shaft and it has been years since I have replaced one, but I think im gonna try the socket and hammer method, but im sure a press would be much easier.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a 20 ton press in my garage, its a life saver, i use it all the time.

i have never had any luck with the hammer and socket thing taking ujionts out other than to ruin my sockets. usually because the ujoints that i replaced where in the axle/driveshaft for 20 plus years. i do use a hammer to start them on, then i use the press to press them on the rest of the way.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The right way and the real world...

A press is the correct way to do u-joints--but not many of us have one!--I use sockets and a hammer most of the time,even at the machine shop I worked at--its simply faster and easier most of the time--I'd use the press on stubborn ones the hammer wouldnt budge--those are the ones that bend the yokes,the u-joints that are rusted in solid,bent more with the press than the hammer ever did....I like the tool my friend has,it looks like a huge "C" clamp,its used mostly for ball joints,but works great to press out U-joints too!..:crazy:

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

heat and sockets and BFH and/or big bench vise,

almost always it takes BFH and a pinion shaft from an axle diff, and torch heat

not pretty but it works

good luck

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

If one is really stuck I use a socket and my bench vise and tighten as much as I can. From there heat and some light tapping around the yoke will make it pop right out. Sometimes just a tap on the yoke makes them pop. Watch for flying sockets and such though.

I have thought about it but I don't know why a little tapping works.

-Chris

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i use this

press.JPG

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use the large C-clamp thing pictured above. It works really well if you have an impact gun. The only problem is you can bend the ears like mentioned though if the joints are really stuck. I have a stub shaft for my 10 bolt that I squeezed the ears down on.

I say use Spicer 5-760x ujoints also. They are the strongest ujoint on the market without going to the expensive CTM's or Ox joints.

Harley