Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I am about to pick up a K15 as a summer driver while I finish my K25 off. Anyways, It needs driveshafts, as the po converted it from a 203 case to a 205 case.

I've got a rear driveshaft from a 205 -> 14 bolt that I could use, but since the truck is a half ton (I've only ever dealt with 3/4 tons) will the same shaft fit the 12 bolt rear? I'd assume the 14 bolt would have a bigger u-joint, right?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

14FF uses a bigger joint but you can get a conversion joint to go from the shat to the 1/2 ton yoke

something else to check is a 14FF has a much longer snout than a 1/2 ton rear axle so the driveshaft may be to short, i don't know for sure as I have not delt with this exact swap

3. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Just did that conversion. The 14b is in fact longer. And the 205 is in fact shorter than the 103. But not quite the same number of inches! So likely any "stock" driveshaft isn't going to fit. I think the stock is going to be a little long. So convert the 14b to 1/2 ton yoke and shorten the shaft. easiest fix? :hack:

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hmm, I guess my best bet is to find a 1980 K10 with an SM465. They all came with 205s (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or 1 ton) so one of their driveshafts should work...