Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm busy changing the engine and tranny on my 89. I've run into a bit of an issue that is holding me up. I do not want to dump ATF all over my floor in the shop, so I want to remove the u-joint that attaches the slip yolk to the rest of the driveshaft. However, this u-joint is different than any I've dealt with in the past. Rather than having those clips to hold the u-joint in, they look like they are held in with little pins on the sides of the caps. I have a spare slip yolk lying around from a car with the same thing, but I was not able to figure out how to remove the u-joint without damaging those little plastic pins.

Can anyone offer some advice?

2. short sub

short sub Registered Member

it appears that u have a stock ujoint in there- that "pin" is plastic that holds the bearing cap in. Get a torch and heat that area until you see all the plastic ooze out, do this on all 4 caps, and then press it out as usual. Good luck later Ryan

3. Russell

How would a guy go about re-installing it later? Just get a new u-joint with the little clips?

4. metto

metto Registered Member

yea, it has the groove for snap rings. just get a regular u joint for it

5. Russell

Well, I put the torch to it to heat it up (little hand held propane torch) and sure enough, it puked those little goobery pins out the sides, however, I kept it on there a bit too long to make sure i got it all out, and the stupid u-joint exploded! Scared to crap outta me! I was happy I always put safety glasses on when I am under a vehicle, they have a nasty gouge right infront of my eye from a chunk of u-joint :eek1:

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

<whew> noted for future- never had that happen :crazy: