Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KapeKodK5, Apr 14, 2000.

1. KapeKodK5

KapeKodK5 Registered Member

I have a '90 blazer with a steel one piece driveshaft in the rear. The u-joint at the axle has straps which retain the u-joint from the axle. The front has no straps. Both the transfer case tail piece and the driveshaft are pressed in. Can I safely slide out the t-case tail piece to work on the unit on my bench. Or do I have to do it underneath the truck????? thanks for a response....

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just take off the straps at the axle end, and slide the shaft out of the transfer case. You will probably have fluid run out of the t-case so have a pan ready to catch it. When your done, just slide it back in, check the fluid level, and drive away.

3. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Make alignment marks on both ends of your driveshaft before you proceed with removal !!! Proper alignment with the splines is a must ! And, remember, this is a balanced unit, so handle it carefully. When you are ready to re-install the driveshaft, the alignment marks will maintain the original phasing of the u-joints to the driveshaft.

Blaize

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

On one piece drive shafts its impossible to get the u-joints out of alignement with the shaft.

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

If your going to do it you're self buy a u-joint press.Mine looks like a c-clamp and it goes over and presses it out by ratching the bolt part down.Saves some serios time and it's not very big so it's great to take on the trail with you.Think i only payed 25-30 bucks not sure.