Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joint Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Nov 23, 2004.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

The U-Joint for the rear drivehshaft to axle in my 88 K5 is shot. My question is, to anyone who has replaced this part before... How hard is it to do and how long should it take. Are any special tools or a torch required? I am just trying to size up this project to see if it is something I am capable of doing myself in the driveway.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Just about everybody here has done it many times /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Should take 30 minutes or so.

I use some sockets and a vise to press them out and hammer the new ones back in.

You could also use a BFH and some sockets and pound them out /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Its real easy. The only problem is kepping the tcase fluid from spilling when you pull the shaft out. I have a plug for it but you could jack up the rear high enough so it does not pour out.

have fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

It's not that hard, use a socket to drive the old one out and the same to drive the new one in. Just take care that you get it in straight. After you get it all back together make sure that it is moving freely and not binding, if it binds you might have pushed the caps to far in. If it is a greaseable u-joint make sure to fill it with grease after assembly. Just go ahead and try, they are only like 20 bucks.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't have a vise yet , and I am tired of hammering u-joints . Last time I changed u-joints , last week , I went to Autozone and borrowed a Ball Joint press . Best thing I ever did . I rebuilt my whole driveshaft in no time ( 3 joints ) . When I can afford it again I am buying a ball joint press for my trailbox /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I rednecked a press when i replaced my T-case and did the u-joints at the same time. Take one floor jack, two sockets, and the front axle, put them all together, and you get your press. It actually worked pretty good, not great, but it got them job done without a press or swinging of a hammer.

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Good idea, sometimes it can be hard to find a good surface to hammer on /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Redneck style can be cool sometime , I once painted a clear bulb amber with Testors model paint as I was out of amber /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I can afford it again I am buying a ball joint press for my trailbox

[/ QUOTE ]

I purchased a cheap ball joint press at Harbor Freight for about $40. It was a pain to use on Ball Joints but it worked and it was cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

10. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i just replaced my rear ujoints. it took us forever cuz they had never ever been replaced and i guess chevy from the factory used some crazy plastic as a lock ring. We didnt know that we had to heat it up w/ a torch to get it out until the 2nd or 3rd one haha. After that it wasnt a problem at all. easy job.

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I just use a large C clamp, and on one side I place a very large socket, something that the cap can go inside of. On the other I use a small socket that's smaller than the cap... tighten it down and there you are...

Simple redneck method /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif