Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

....U-Joint Retainer bolt snapper off in axle yoke......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5on38s, Jan 6, 2003.

1. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

I bought the axle from a junk yard so when i was installing the ujoint last night i found that there was part of the bolt still in the pinion yoke and it looks like its beeen there for a century or more...does the yoke come off with out fookin up my gear lash and all that [censored]????? (14bFF)

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Yes, the yoke comes off remove the pinoin nut and use a 2 jaw puller or equivalent to pull it off. Be carful when you put it back on not to tighten it too much.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The trick is before you take it off, you should measure how much drag there is (best is to use a inch pound torque wrench) and then when you want to put it back, tighten the nut until you get the same numbers.
    I removed mine before knowing that and when I put it back I tightened too much, and I ended up ruining the pinion bearing.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

After having a similar problem with a junkyard axle (broken pinion shaft retaining bolt in a 7.5") I would suggest you contact the 'yard before you do *anything* else.

No reason you should have to spend more time/money on an axle that you purchased as a "good" axle, and since the yoke is part of a "good" axle, even if you do the work, you should be able to arrive at an agreement with them to provide you some sort of compensation for your time and parts you need to get, such as a certain quantity of other free parts. Either that or just tell them you'll bring it back for a refund /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Have you tried using a EZ-out yet?

6. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

yea i tryed 2....and broke em /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Im about ready to commit myself to a mental ward...:lol:a 300$ swap turned into $700+
    And as far as contacting them im sick of it, if takin it back to them TWO TIMES and this F*cker it to god damn heavy to do it again. so im callin a friends junk yard and im gonna buy another yoke. and then im gonna tel everyone i know that i got screwed by this place.. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif