Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint says POP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bherring, May 5, 2002.

1. bherring

bherring Registered Member

With the welded front, I broke my first axleshaft u-joint today...short side. Tires were pretty straight, but I bounced it in some rocks with heavy throttle. I agree.........it was way too easy.

What's the best way to fit the mangled shafts through the knuckle? Cutting torch? Balljoint removal?

Also, can you destroy other stuff (besides the other side u-joint) by leaving it in 4wd if the broken side's hub is not locked. I'm talking about the disconnected shafts having too much play.

Thanks for input. -Beck.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would say that a cutting torch is the easiest way to get the mangled parts out. I'm not sure what you mean by the disconnected shafts flopping around. If you just unlock the hub on the broken side, it will be turned by the diff. You will have even more torque go to the remaining side by keeping it locked in. If the inner axle falls out, you will lose your geardope. Also, it could interfere with steering. The only really strong reason I see is the added torque to the other side and bad sounds coming from the broken side.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your locked and you bust one it's time to unlock and run in 2wd. Busted up shafts can, have and will cut the nuts off the balljoints and cause the knuckle to come off.