Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joint steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bugspray, Jun 12, 2004.

1. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I was at the junk yard, and decided to go ahead and grab the piece out of a full size 85 chevy van. The one side looks too small for my steering box (haven't tried yet) and the other side isn't splined. I think my original shaft is splined on that upper end. I posted some pictures of the shaft. Did I grab the wrong one? I did a search, but no pictures of the correct one to get. Any pics would be great.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=152018600&ran=12925

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Try the steering shaft from a Jeep cherokee or comanche, they're pretty much bolt on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

linky no worky. You have to post the "community" link. The one you posted is asking us to log in as you first.

4. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I'm an fng at this pic posting stuff. Anyway, I'll look into the cherokee idea. Thanks.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i dont have answers for you, but i know chevy trucks had 2 types of attachments between the steering shaft and column. i am unsure of the year split.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think the split is 78/79, i pulled a 78 column and it had splines, while the 79 had the flats on the round.

the shaft you got should fit you truck,

7. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I believe I might have it figured out for linking the pics correctly. pics
    I'm going to pull apart the rag joint etc. and see.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep, thats what i used, fit just fine.

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Try the steering shaft from a Jeep cherokee or comanche, they're pretty much bolt on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm our yard is loaded with these, and the parts are cheap cause they aren't real popular. Just a bolt in /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

It was the right one. Now I'm going to get it fitted to the spare old one I have. On the one for the van, I see a movable clip? Can this be taken apart? When anyone has made one, are they using both ends (u-joints), or are they only using the one end to eliminate the rag joint? I read it needs to have play, is that right- for flex?

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I also grabbed one of those shafts from a van, when I spotted it at the pick-n-pull. I was looking at that and wondering why the folks at Flaming River can get $300 for their u-jointed shafts when there is stuff like that sitting in junkyards all over America.

Now to figure out how to get the U-joints apart without damaging them, so I can swap the steering shaft from the truck into the van setup. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif