Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joint strap kit ? yet again.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Aug 25, 2001.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I cannot find the U-joint strap's for my 14 bolt .. either that.. or I'm dealing with idiot's around here in the part stores..
    I had napa cross reference the 447 U-joint.. and they tried to sell me the actual U style clamps.. not the strap's.
    Does anyone have a correct PN that I can use to take to the parts store?
    The one Stoopalini gave me.. for Autozone also didn't show up on their computer.
    This is the only thing holding me up... Thanks. .

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The strap kit for an 86 K30 is Napa p/n NUJ33110 - if that's any help. We just recently installed new U-joints in my buddys Dad's p/u, and I happened to have the box laying around still[​IMG]

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jeff.. I'm running out of part number's to try..
    This one MUST be the winner..
    Keeping my finger's crossed..
    Why is it... everyone look's at you like your crazy when you told them Ya did a 1-ton axle swap... ?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You need a parts guy like mine. I just told him what I needed and what I was doing he gave me the part told me to come back when I had something harder for him to find. [​IMG]

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Well Brandon.. share your part number with the masses.. !!
    Part number's sure do help... lol
    You almost done?

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well Charlie I wood but I just went out there to check and low adn freaking behold I got the wrong ones too. [​IMG]

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

That sucks... we're in the same boat.. lol.. I feel like I'll never finish now..

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Way back when, when I did my swap it took me 4 tries to finally get the right straps...[​IMG] of course saving the part number somewhere never occurred to me.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Trust me Rene.. i'm going to compile a list of all part's purchased..
    And tomorrow will be my 4th try in locating the correct u-joint strap's..
    Another option.. the drivetrain place here.. quoted me $150.00 to cut the 1/2 ton end off my driveshaft and weld the 1-ton yoke to it. Then that includes Balancing..
    I might go that route.. one day turnaround..
    We shall see.

12. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Have you tried asking for 1 ton stuff. Like maybe a 1988 1ton crew cab. I think all they came with was FF14B's. It's just a thought.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

13. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

This may be a dumb suggestion, but have you checked with any Chevy dealerships? I know there are a lot of idiots that work in one of our local Chevy dealerships, but I can't imagine why they would not be able to help you. Just a thought. Good luck...

Constipated people don't give a crap!

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

My concern is using a Napa U-joint.. and finding the correct size strap to fit it..
    Autozone said their Uj strap's are "universal".. yeah maybe for a foreign car... not even close on fitting the 14 bolt..
    I'll try the dealership.. and a number Pugley gave me..
    Thanks for everyone's input..

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Well.. found out that the front strap's off my old 10 bolt work fine on the rear.. Now I need the complete U -style clamp's for the new front Dana 44.. lol.. It's a never ending battle..
    Plus.. i should have bought Dana 44 caliper's.. my 10 bolt caliper's are rubbing on my rim's..
    Ah.. the things we do for our trucks..

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Chuck, it wont matter if you get the D44 calipers. They will rub too. [​IMG] There is no difference between the D44 and 10B calipers except for the bolt that holds the brake line to the caliper. The 10B uses a smaller bolt than the D44.

If I were you, I would leave the 10B calipers alone and just grind them. This is easier and cheaper than getting new calipers, which you dont need.

<font color=blue>"Ya don't have to beat it, ya know!!!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The key when searching for parts at the stores are to not try to describe what you are doing to the guy behind the counter. The easiest way to make them give you the wrong part is to start talking about an '90 K5 Blazer with a '86 1-ton this and a '79 3/4 ton that. They either have no clue or don't care.

When I was getting parts for my 14FF conversion on my '90 K5, I walked into NAPA and asked for a #447 u-joint and a strap kit from an '86 1-ton pickup (where the donor 14FF came from). For the new front rotors and calipers on the 8-lug front conversion, I just asked for parts off an '86 3/4 ton 4x4 (again, the donor vehicle for the parts).

18. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wes.. Guess I'll sleep at night now.. [​IMG].
    I wasn't sure the dana 44 caliper's were different or not..
    I had 6 caliper's here.. two were different than all the rest.. so.. i was beginning to wonder.
    Now.. what type of u-joint straps does the front dana 44 take? The yoke is a pass through type.. and isn't threaded for the UJoint strap's.. Any idea Wes?

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

On the front yoke u-shaped straps, you should be able to reuse the stock front 10B straps.

Those on the front with no threads on them will have the threads on the little u-bolt straps and nuts to hold them on. The straps go in first and then the nuts on the back side of the yoke.

<font color=blue>"Ya don't have to beat it, ya know!!!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

20. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The straps go in first and then the nuts on the back side of the yoke.

<hr></blockquote>
    Yep.. this is what I need.. anyone know the part number?
    I used the front strap's from the 10 bolt on the rear 14 bolt.. only strap's I found that fit..
    Now I just need the U-types like Wes described above.