Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u joint straps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Apr 21, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, today, whilst playing hookie from work, I put a 14bff and a D44 in the 1990 K5. Have to wait for the rear u-joint from napa. I don't have the right straps for where the u-joint bolts to the front diff either. Anybody know what to do there? Also, do I need to replace the brake hoses in the front too? Otherwise, it's been very straight forward swapping that stuff in there.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have the right straps for where the u-joint bolts to the front diff either. Anybody know what to do there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to go to the parts store and give them the year of the truck it came out of. Some years had straps, others had u-bolts...you can't use one in the other, the holes won't line up. If nothing else, take a very close measurement of the hole center-to-center dimension and take that with you. And, the strap/u-bolt will be for a 1310 cup size.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, do I need to replace the brake hoses in the front too?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're using the D44 calipers, yes.
    If you reused your 10 bolt calipers, no.

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I will reuse my old calipers. I remember that now. I'll pull the u-bolts holding the u-joints on the 72 that I have and have them match them up at the parts store, since they will work for mine.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if anything i might have some straps laying around still, if you measure cap diameter and center to center on bolt holes for each strap in the yoke

thanks