Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint style steering connection (instead of rag joint)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 15, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Who here runs a u-joint style steering coupler, rather than the factory rag joint on the steering box?

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Bowtie runs it and sells them.

Here is the link. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I did when I was driving a Toyota Land Cruiser . I switched to a Saginaw Power Steering box and made a new shaft with the small P.T.O. u-joints . It worked real good and I did not mind the instant feed back from every jolt and bump . I would do it again if needed . /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Tom

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I was wishing I had one on my 74 k20 last thursday night--my "friend" who runs a junkyard that is going out of buissness soon needed help cutting up a large old allis-chamlers bulldozer(looks like the one john wayne drove in the "Hellfighters"movie).His ramp truck has no sticker and he got nabbed a few weeks ago,so me being a gullible christian fool I helped him get the scrap to a nearby(2 miles)metal recycling place.My truck ia a 3/4 ton with 9 leaf rear springs and it has those cheesy autozone coil helper springs(1500lb).The 6-71 detroit diesel engine alone ended up weighing 3700 lbs alone! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.The next pile consisted of another 3700 lbs of tracks and bogie wheels /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--the last load was 2980 lbs.I was in dire need of new underwear by days end--I never thought the stuff was THAT heavy! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif-- I thought it would be the last ride for my rusty barnacle coated frame.For all this abuse and beating I was rewarded the sum of twenty dollars---the scrap brought about 350 bucks.Some "friend" huh?.But it gets better--after I left his place to go home,about a mile away while making a slow speed (thankgod)u-turn,the rag joint at the steering box completely tore apart /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif,leavine me stranded.Took me all day friday to cut it off with torches(the bolt on the steering box end was like a rounded rivet--the joys of owning an old plow truck!.I was such a fool to have even tried this,overloading the truck and then getting screwed out of the cash(I will never do anyone a favor without discussing the payment first,that is,is I EVER help anyone again!).My heart still stops when I think of what could have happenned if that rag joint failed on the way to the scrapyard---we or innocent others could have been killed! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--even a blowout would have done us in(and no way would my jack lift all that weight.) I thing the stock GM steering shaft is a joke--either end can pull off easily if the cab mounts are rotted enough--I'm suprised it doesn't happen more often seeing how rusty most of theese trucks are.I think the shafts advertised on this site are worth every penny--GM should have used the u-joints and not a "hunk of tire"that your very life rides on!.I put a used one in,but the truck is probably not going to leave the yard much anymore--its just too rotted everywhere like the brake rotors,frame and cab.I guess 14 years is long enough to own a truck--but I will really miss it--I beat it my best and it still wont die.As for my foolishness--I will never put nearly 2 tons on ANY 3/4 ton again--I promise!.Now its time to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

thanks, esteban.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i do have them or if you want just the short u-joint ends to convert yours over i have those too. send me a pm or e-mail bowtie@satx.rr.com if you need more info.