Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joint tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Aug 21, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well I'm getting a new driveshaft built and can go 1310(fixed yoke 205) & 1350(14ff) or get 1350 at both ends w/ a new fixed yoke for the 205. My question is this.

In this article, Bill Avista has the maximum operating angle for a 1310 being 30* and 20* for a 1350. Before I swapped to the 14ff, I had 1310 at each end. I'm afraid that by going to 1350 on each end, and essentially losing 20* of angle ability (10* at each end), that I'll run into binding or vibration problems.

The only cost difference between the two shafts is the price of the yoke for the 205. I'm not real worried about that, but am wondering if I should stay with a 1310 at the transfer case so that I'm only losing 10* at the rearend. What's the consensus?

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Losing 10 at each end means losing 10 total. If your pinion and 205 output are parallel as they ideally should be, then they will have equal angles which is also nominal. As your suspension cycles, those angles will go up together, and they will go down together, always staying approximately the same (with the exception of axle wrap). Thinking that they add to each other isn't quite the right way of looking at it. Say your angles end up being at 15* at ride height, that'll be 15* at each end. Then say you get droop the axle until you increase the angle to 20* at each end. A 1350 at the 14b will have maxed out and bound up, so you're already screwed. What good does it do to have another 10* at the TC when the u-joint at the axle is already bound?

Now of course this is all assuming that you have equal angles at each joint already. The reality is, one of your joints may already have a steeper angle than the other for some reason. In which case it would help for that joint to have more range of motion, but you'll probably have vibration cause things aren't equal.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Go 1410 and never look back.