Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u-joints and axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I want to get a set of heavy duty axles and u-joints for my dana 44 to handle bigger tires. Does anybody know where I can get them for a reasonable price? The front u-joints are the original ones from 73 lmao so I want to upgrade everything while im replacing them. Where can I get everything, how much will it cost, and is there anything else I should get?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much money are you willing to spend. The only upgrade is Chromoly and it is $$$. Offroad Design sells both Warn and Superior chromo stuff. Superior is the better brand.

Ujionts are expensive to to upgrade to super HD stuff. CTM and OX make HD joints. CTM is the better brand.

Joints are around $200 each and axles are in the neighborhodd of $800 for inners and outers for the front axle.

That puts you in the area of $1200 for a super HD D44 axle without adding in the price of gears, lockers, hubs, etc. Might be a wise idea to look for a D60 if you want to go that route with a D44.

What size tires, what kinda wheeling you do?

Harley

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can get Superior chromoly axles and CTM ujoints, but hold on to your walet,

the CTMs are $185 a piece.
    Superior stub shafts: $135.00/each
    Superior long axles: $249.00/each
    Superior short axles: $214.00/each

so that comes to $1103 from ORD

if you don't have that kinda money, i just keep the front axles and put new nongreasable joints in them and just be ready to replace them.

autozone gave my friend the greasable ones even though he asked for nongreasable. he was pissed after it broke and took out the axle shafts. he hasn't broke one yet that i know of.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The spicer 760's with ground down ears for full circle snap rings make for a stonger combo with a budget in mind. It is not un breakable by any means but a good improvement.

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

It looks like most of those are out of my price range. About $700 is high but sounds pretty reasonable for axles, but more than $100 for a u-joint seems way too high to me since I could replace them for so much cheaper. I dont need them to be extra heavy duty, just a little tougher than stock. My truck is a daily driver/weekend wheeler. I dont take it anywhere and really abuse it or anything but I want it to be able to spin 37 inch tires up muddy trails without breaking anything. The only wheeling it sees is muddy trails with shallow mud holes and steep hills, and lots of snow in the winter.

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have had good luck with the stock shafts and Spicer joints. I don't do rocks, only street and mud.

7. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Earlier this year I upgraded to a Dana 44 front from a 1973 truck. Since it was so old I replaced the u-joints with spicers. One time out in the mud and the Short axle shaft broke in half leaving the new u-joint. I don't think it is worth upgrading the front u-joints on 30 year old axles. I replaced the broken side with a Spicer replacement for about 200 bucks. It seems much beefier than the stock one. I would look into that.

8. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Well I guess im just gonna replace the original u-joints and go from there. If I break em ill replace em but if I break an axle I might then look into upgrading everything. I guess theres no point to fix what aint broke yet lol.