Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U joints and Drive Line Angle Issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Mar 6, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Does anyone else have drive line problems on their K5? I have 6" suspension lift on my Blazer and after that. I was blowing u joints left and right. Wouldnt even last a couple of months. Dropped the T case. That didnt really help. Then we shimmed the 12 bolt a bit. That didnt so to help. Finally I converted the rear drive line to a CV joint. This helps but I still eat The joints in about 4-6 months. A couple of the shops here said. "It's just how it is with a Blazer and 39" tires and that much lift." Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Better be careful, Blueknight, we've already got a Whiteknight 'round here.............He might challenge you to a duel....Anyway, search back thru the posts. The guys were talking about this a while back.

3. All I can say is keep working with it, the goal is to have the angle as close to straight on as you can get. You nay need to take off your springs perches and rotate the axle. I have a 12" lift on an 88 Burb and it is long enough that I extended the shaft and it was good, no vibrations at all. Now the front is a whole different story. I am still waiting on winning the lottery so I can have the punkin turned up on the axle tubes or do a divorced transfer case set-up to lower the angles.

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you are still running the stock shafts with the 1/2 ton joints, those big tires are putting some where on the joints as well as the angles they have to run. Might try upgrading to 1 ton ujoints. This would mean more shaft work and new yokes for the tcase and axles.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. BlueKnight

Yes I have thought of that. I was realy hoping this 750.00 driveline would help the most and wel it did. The U joints they use in it are much larger than the factory ones. Im just amzed though of my problems. I have seen blazers alot higher than me using 1.2 ton componenets squeak free. I might contact 6 states and see what they say might be a cure to.

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Call Tom Woods!!!

$750 for a driveshaft??!!?? Tom Woods (www.4xshafts.com) will build one for half that and it will be second to NOTHING!! Tom is the expert and just ask Depdog, you won't be disappointed.

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

7. BlueKnight

Re: Call Tom Woods!!!

Yep that is what I have put into that driveline. They last about 6 months then a vibration can be felt. I guess it is because of the shortness of the drive line and the heighth of the lift. I'll give him a shout and see what he says

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

if you havent lengthened th d-shaft wiyh a 6 inch lift, you should.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

9. BlueKnight

custom length and CV joint system.

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Do you have an auto tranny with a shift kit? I had a '77 shortbed with one and had a ton of trouble with the rear u-joint. The shift kit made it shift hard and which just ate my u-joint in about 2 months.

11. BlueKnight

Yes I do a serious shift kit in a TH350. I might look into that. Im thinking of upgrading it to a th400 or a 700r4

12. BlueKnight

Ok maybe a 700r4 isnt a good idea. Did some research and it seems it is a bit longer than a TH350, which means an even shorter drive shaft angle. Ugh. So what do I do? re shim my diff? I already dropped the t case. Its all 1/2 ton running gear.

13. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Again; Call Tom Woods!!!

The 700-R4 is only 1.5 inches longer than the Turbo 350;it ain't gonna make that much difference. Besides, if you need the length that bad, you could add a slip yoke eliminator kit to your t-case if you have the NP 208 or 241. Like I said before, call Tom. You can get a shaft made that has 1350 U-joints and the matching yoke for your 10-bolt axle for somewhere in the $300 range. The best part is you will have NO MORE VIBRATION and no worries when you hammer the go pedal!

Brian
    Still in Search of the TBI KING!!

14. BlueKnight

Um no website at that address