Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joints brands? NAPA? AuotZone? VIP? Whats fits for us wheelers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, May 26, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

My U-Joints finally kicked the bucket-- had to get replacements---- AND HOW! Quickly! What brands do you all recommennd by national distributors? NAPA? others? Pep Girls? Or from Specialty companies like SUMMITRACING.COM????

I have several left to do.... please enlighten

me.....

-_DeeVee8_

What brands do youu

"The one who blows their horn the loudest, is usually in the thickest fog".-- [​IMG]

2. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Personally I like to use NAPA u joints. The better of the two brands they carry are made by Precision. They also carry a super strength that are even better and normally run between $15.00-20.00. The one thing to remember is that you get what you pay for, and there's nothing worse than having to replace a u joint that crapped out on the trail because you got chinchy and went with house brand. Even though they have a lifetime warranty, that don't help when you're halfway between B.F.E. and town.-Russell

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If you go to <font color=blue>http://www.dana.com<font color=black> and hit the "select a Dana site" drop down, you will find out that Dana Corp. owns Spicer, who makes the best, Perfect Circle, Mr.Gasket and Napa Auto. Now it seems to me that if the maker of the best running gear just happens to own the best u-joint maker....who am I to argue. I am a new NAPA fan for parts now....you might pay a bit more...but like the old adage...you get what you pay for....most of the time.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

SPICER! Dont even bother with anything else. Check out Tom Wood's site (4xshaft.com) for more info. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

2 Words......DANA SPICER!!!!!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I like my Brute Force ujoints from AutoZone. They have a lifetime warranty and are replaced easily. I have an AutoZone real close to where I go wheeling. Every once in a while after some hard wheeling, I have a Joint go bad and I just stop by AutoZone on the way home and replace it in the parking lot. I am getting real fast at pressing the joints in and out. I changed out my rear u-Joints in the AutoZone parking lot in 20 minutes. That includes removing and re-installing the shaft in the vehicle. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

What ever you chose make shure you see "MADE IN THE U.S.A."
    stamped on both the bearing and race!!!!!!!
    If you buy the china stuff I promise you IT WILL FAIL!!!!
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Opps for some raeson I was still thinking about "wheel Bearings" [​IMG]
    I'm lossin it[​IMG]
    OK so for "U-joints"[​IMG]
    DANA SPICER!!!!!!!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Almost everybody in my 4x4 club uses Spicer joints and swears by them.
    I had just recently replaced the front axle u-joints in my '90 and thought I would try the NAPA "Super Strength" ones instead of Spicers, well I snapped two of the ears completely off of the left side joint two days after I installed it. Yeah, it might have been a fluke and it was only one time, but it just wasn't that severe of a situation (wheels just slightly turned, and maybe 1/4 throttle at the most, and it's only a limited slip in front so the tire wasn't getting full torque). Again, it very well could've just been a fluke, but I'm sticking with Spicers only from now on.

10. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Spicer is the best but I don't mind the BruteForce from AutoZone either. Made in USA. I did get a bad BF though. I put it in lathe to check it (vibrated like heck, rear, of rear shaft) and dial indicator showed it was .014 wobbly! AutoZone price is 7 bucks. Don't know how they can sell em that cheap. I'm gonna get some Almagard 3752 for sure. Thanks for the info.

SteveB