Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u-joints don't fit...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Nov 3, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

u-joints don\'t fit...

I'm changing the u-joints in my rear driveshaft, and one of them fits in there fine. The other one, the part that goes to the output shaft on the t-case doesn't fit. I've tried puttign several different ones in there, and none of them fit all the way. They are too big. I could almost get the snapring in, but by then, the joints are so compressed and tight, they don't move freely. My driveshaft was rebuilt a few years ago, before I owned the truck. Is it possible someone put the wrong yoke on one side? If so, how do I find out what joint fits without taking the driveshaft to the parts houes and comparing to all the u-joints there. My old one is trashed, so I can't put it back in either...

90K5

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Re: u-joints don\'t fit...

Take a micrometer or any percise measure tool and measure the dia. of the yoke eyes plus the width, distance to each stopper tit in the yoke, of the yoke. Then do the same for what fits in the axle yoke. After that you can call up Randys ring and pinion( http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i had that trouble with TRW boxed u joints. they were the wrong size. went and bought real spicers and they slid in like butter. i even took the TRW back to the store and they mic'ed it and compared it to their book, agreed yup it is the wrong size, slid it into the box and put it back on the shelf.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One other thought - it might be the right u-joint, but what you feel in this 'binding'. When you get that second snap ring in, and you feel it tight, just whack the yoke with a hammer to seat the bearings, and I bet it will free it up. Have that same experience every time I do a u-joint..........so might want to try that.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got it fixed...went to O'Reilly's and used the micrometer, looked at a bunch of u-joints and then looked at the one I put on there...turned out it was the right one, probably just needed to smack it to seat teh bearings...

90K5