Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u joints, how to change on trail?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Aug 10, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

anny ideas? dont they have to be pressed in?

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

big hammer and sockets. One large socket that the cap will fit into, and one socket just smaller than the cap to hammer it through. Put the large socket under one side, small on the top side, and start hammering. It takes a good sized hammer to achieve the best results. I do all of mine this way, and I did one earlier today on the side of the road.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

cool right on kinda what i was figuring thanks /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If I had to change ujoints on the trail I would look into onboard air or electric inverter (so you can use an impact, pneumatic or electric) and use my Harbor Freight ujoint press. Next best thing is the hammer.

Other option is carry spare axleshafts and driveshafts with new ujoints already installed. That is what I do. Every ujoint in my truck has a spare already installed in the corresponding shaft.

Harley