Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joints Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMC, Apr 21, 2004.

1. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

U-joints Q\'s

What are some quality U-joints that you guys run in your driveshafts? I don't want cheap ones that will break, but I also don't want to spend a fortune on some either. What's the best bang for the buck? Thanks.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: U-joints Q\'s

Spicer.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Neapco /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Neapco /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely my #2 choice and much cheaper.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Spicer life series (cold forged)
    Spicer OEM (can't think of the name for those currently)
    Neapco

price, strength, and preference in that order.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would take a non greasable neapco over a greasable Spicer personally.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with the non-greasable over greasable too. All of my joints are the non-greasable type now. I don't do mud and the angles/wheeling are somewhat severe so I have to change them often anyway.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have all non greasables everywhere except the front driveshaft now because Jesse accidently shipped it with greasables. I also have greasables in the front axle because I haven't had it that far apart to change them yet.

I've got five non-greasable Spicers waiting to replace the crappy greasables that are still leftover in my truck.

Before I installed my '60 and put in my front HAD, I had ALL non-greasable Neapcos for the last few years with very good sucess.

In fact, I haven't changed a u joint from wearing out since the summer of 2002 when I put my 4 speed in and had my rear driveshaft built.

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Neapco

[/ QUOTE ]

does napa carry those u-joints???

10. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

They have a listing for Neapco, but they didn't have any in stock. They claimed they do not carry spicer.

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

umm how much does a set of neapco run for an 10 bolt front??? I going to have buy some soon for backups....

justin

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Neapco

[/ QUOTE ]

does napa carry those u-joints???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Napa carries Precision (which I haven't heard anything good about)

Neapcos run 9-13 dollars each for wheel joints

Part number for 10 bolt/D44 wheel joints is 1-0297 for greasable, add a suffix for non greasable (at Autozone it's a BF for brute Force, Carquest it's a G for gold line) 1-0298 is greasable, but through the cap instead of the cross.

1-0332 is the Neapco number for the D60 wheel joint, it comes greasable (through cross) only.

1-0153 = spicer 1310
    2-4800 = spicer 1330
    2-0053 = spicer 1350
    2-3011 = saginaw S44

3-3130 = 1310-1330 conversion
    3-3140 = 1310-1350 conversion
    2-1153 = S44-1350 conversion

Those are all typed from memory so my apologies if they're incorrect. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

Speaking of Napa's u-joints, they are 20 something dollars each, greasable, and are stamped "Made in Japan"

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Not all of them are greasable. They do say japan on them now (used to say USA) I have purchased spicers in the spicer box from them too. Car Quest is cheaper on the real spicers from my expierence.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Carquest does not carry Spicer U joints, they carry Neapco.

I've been trying to find a way to get them for some time now, but I'm just not so sure that there is a way other than direct from Dana.

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya that is sorta true. I have always been able to get the true spicer stuff from napa or car quest they both have them in stock regularly. I even got the spicer 760's from carquest once. They can even get me the 806 (D60 cold forge) if I give them a day or two and a spicer part number. I might just be lucky though. Oh I do not have an account with them at all. Some of the local 4x4 shops (real rigs not chrome) have spicers in stock too. To bad for you Tim. I can get you some Napa and CQ spicer PN's if you want, just let me know.

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i disagree with you on the greasable issue
    I wont willingly put any moving part on my vehicle that cannot be lubed
    I even hunted down the Spicer life greasable for my 60 wheeljoints

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya that is sorta true. I have always been able to get the true spicer stuff from napa or car quest they both have them in stock regularly. I even got the spicer 760's from carquest once. They can even get me the 806 (D60 cold forge) if I give them a day or two and a spicer part number. I might just be lucky though. Oh I do not have an account with them at all. Some of the local 4x4 shops (real rigs not chrome) have spicers in stock too. To bad for you Tim. I can get you some Napa and CQ spicer PN's if you want, just let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I've got 5 Spicer U joints behind me in a box waiting to be installed on my truck so I don't need part numbers.

I do, however, need to know how/where they're getting them from. I can tell you that they're not getting them from within our own system.

Carquest will allow us to make outside purchases to sell parts to customers as long as a decent profit margin is maintained. If there is a place that I can buy Spicer U joints at wholesale so I can retail them to my customers, I would love to know where it is.

I have spent quite some time on the phone, but unfortunately the places that my store deals with don't have them. If there is a place, I can't figure out where it is! Trust me, I've tried.

Officially though, the Carquest system (our own warehouses) do not carry Spicer u joints. If someone is getting them for you, they're sourcing them from the outside and then retailing them to you--which would be fine for me to do, if I only knew how to get them (if I knew which distributor had them so I could order them I'd have a shelf full).

Unfortunately, the store that gets you your Spicer joints may not want to give up their source because if they told you, you might just go there to get them instead of the store.

One of the main things we pride ourselves in is that we don't sell price--we sell service. We will get any part for a customer and the only guidelines we have is that the store must make a reasonable profit. You name it--I can get it though my work typically, but sometimes the pricing sucks.

That said, I'd love to be able to offer my customers Spicer joints, but I have yet to find a source other than my local driveline shops to get them from, and they will not sell them to me for wholesale price.
    EDIT:

I also forgot to mention one thing--Nothing at Carquest comes with a brand name on the box (some do, but Carquest is the brand and you'll see a small "Moog" or "Federal Mogul" or other logo elsewhere on the box. If you bought a branded part at the store--it didn't come with within the Carquest system.

Also, some Carquest stores are not corporately owned. They are independant auto parts stores that happen to have a Carquest franchise affiliation. There are many reasons why an owner may choose to do it, but the big one is that our warehouses stock everything--even dead part numbers and their pricing is very good.

It's possible that your store is indepentdant and that's why they carry more lines of what they want than my store, which is corporately owned. Very few items that we stock in our store do not come from within the Carquest parts system, but if their is a demand for a part that Carquest doesn't have, my boss has no problem having us order it as long as it will sell.

That's why we've got shift kits, MSD, Mr. Gasket, etc., IN STOCK. We also order Fel Pro gaskets (shhhhhhh) on a regular basis even though our parts system doesn't carry them.

Spicer PNs for life series non greasables:

D60 wheel joint 5-806x
    1410 joint 5-801x
    1350 joint 5-799x

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i disagree with you on the greasable issue
    I wont willingly put any moving part on my vehicle that cannot be lubed
    I even hunted down the Spicer life greasable for my 60 wheeljoints

[/ QUOTE ]

All Spicer life series joints are non greasable. They have another name for their line of greasables.

There is no question that you're making a comprimise in strength by using greasable joints. For you it's probably worth it to be able to flush the mud and water from them.

20. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya the one I go to is privately owned. I know the other parts are in CQ boxes with the pparent manfacturer on the side in a small logo (like moog). I will ask them where they are getting the stuff. The weird thing is their retail price is lower than most others (so they must be getting them cheap).