Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U joints with out clips on front CV......??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I was taking the CV off an old driveline a friend gave to me, So i could fix mine that i broke awhile back.... and in doing so i notice the Ujoints on the driveline that was givin to me had no clips. I cleaned and scraped and searched for C-Clips to no avail. I couldnt figure how to get the damn thing apart. I just started beating the crap out of the thing, with everything i had. I started using this pick axe type thing to see if i could shatter the joint... then i noticed one of the caps looked like it was out a little a further then before. so i went back the hammer and Smacked the crap out of it repeatedly and finally the cap came out....

im just curious Why these joints had no clips. and what this driveline wouldve come from. Thx...

(sorry for the long pointless story) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think that the factory CVs used melted plastic or something to hold the caps in. Normally you melt the plastic to get it apart. </font>

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

yep shaggy is correct.i seen this question a while back also.factory used plastic clips that have to be heated with a torch and melted out if the ujoint had never been replaced.i would think a propane torch would be good because it doesnt put out too much heat and is easily used.not like a oxacetaline.i think that would be too much heat right at the joint.