Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Oct 9, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Do 10 bolts and dana 44's use the same u-joints. Whats the strongest 10 bolt u-joint you can get. I herd CTM or Yukon were making them for the 10 bolt but all they show on there websites are for dana 44's. Will they work on a 10 bolt?

2. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

Yes they are the same, I use Ox joints, they are fully rebuildable.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes they are the same ujoint. a ctm will work in a 10 bolt.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

AFAIK the 297 series is the biggest U-joint you can use in a D44/10b shaft. Based on everything I have seen, CTMs are the best wheelin joints ever made. Ox's are cool, but some people have reported problems on pirate with them coming apart on them... usually the joint body itself is fine, but the screw in arm parts and/or shaft ears are toast.

The Jantz joint is a good alternative if you don't drive your rig much on the street... it has no bushings at all inside its caps. This, naturally, increases friction but it also allows for much larger "arms" on the joint. The D44 Jantz joint, for instance, has larger arms than a stock D60 joint does. The D60 ones are over in inch across. Thats some serious beef. Randys/Yukon are in the process of mass producing the Jantz joint. The D44 ones are already available. Think they just call it "The Super Joint". They are 4340 and use a gold-colored titanium finish is decrease friction/wear due to the lack of bushings. Apparently they don't currently cryo them... but if you want to go with the Jantz joint, you might want to send them off to have them cryo'd yourself.. will probably make them last longer. Jantz himself owns a rig that runs 44" TSLs, so I can only assume these joints have been tested quite a bit. He's some sort of aerospace engineer if I remember right.

j

5. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Is anyone making some 37-38 tires on a 10 bolt survive using these type of joints + upgraded shafts.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

10 bolt can handle 37s or 38s... in the long run you'll prolly break even the expensive bling upgrade parts though. I'd rather have a D60 with some cheap 4340 yukon shafts/joints than a 10 bolt with bling $pendy CTMs and CTM shafts. Said D60 would be the cheaper axle probably...

j

7. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

My thoughts to

8. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I changed my yokes and run big, meaty Spicers. No problems here.