Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Jun 21, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

any way of pressing them in at home, or do i need to take it to a shop?

2. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I have done it with a hammer BUT you need to be really careful with the needles, make sure that they are all lined up good and tey stay where they need to when you hit they have a tendency to move around, but i have done it before just take your time.
    sergio

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

A hammer works really good. I never have gotten a vise to work like the haynes manual describes. The haynes manual covers both methods if you want more info. A PRESS is the easiest way to do it.

BIGJ

4. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

press the join between an hydraulic jack and your truck frame work great.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've never used a press for driveshaft u-joints, always a hammer. If the stock joints are still in there, use a torch to melt the plastic out of them, then beat them out with a hammer.

For axle u-joints I've never had to do it without a press but I think it'd be a nightmare.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

You can do them at home without a press. I've done all of mine (more times than I'd care to remember) driveshaft and axle. I use a 3" extenision and a socket that roughly the size of the cap (to spread the pressure out) and a 3 lb sledge they should come right out.

Do yourself a favor before you install the new ones. Hit the bore with some emery cloth or light sandpaper and shoot some WD40 in there too. They'll go in really easy and make it alot easier if/when you have to replace them again.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've never actually broken an axle u-joint but I put new ones in my new (to me) front axle just because I thought they'd be nice to have, they're lifetime warrenty, and they were very cheap. Even with the press they were very difficult.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

use a C-clamp a big socket and a small socket. Press'em
    out and press the new caps in .

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

9. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

I Have tried several methods easiest is the hammer but recently used a press and could have used a third hand. By the way any one out there no the part number for the large rear end u-joint?

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Big C-clamp, big vise, or press is definitely the <font color=green>best<font color=black> way to go. Hammering on ANY kind of bearing is generally a <font color=red>bad thing<font color=black>. Of course, not everyone has access to the right tools, so you gotta make do with what ya got. I was lucky enough to have a big-a$$ vise left for me when I bought my house, so that's what I use.

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. cederic

cederic Registered Member

A vise and some cheap 3/8" sockets work pretty good.
    Make sure all the needle are in place.
    When you have them clipped or "retained", lightly tap the surrounding areas with a small ball-pien hammer to loosen it all up and make them move freely in all directions including around and around.
    Would not advise pounding them in with a hammer unless your doing it for your free for someone else... But, if that's the case whale away with a BFH and get the job done quick.

[image]http://www.animationcity.net/gifz/hand.gif[/image]

What do you call a fly after you pull off it's wings ?
    A WALK...ahhehe