Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-JOINTS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MA87K5, May 4, 2000.

1. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 12 bolt and a 10 bolt rear. 10 bolt is in now I would like to put the 12 bolt in, but the only prob is that the u-joints are different sizes. If I was to bore out the seats for the u-joints on the 12 bolt yolk to match the 10 bolt u-joint will it work without a problem? or is the pinion for the 10 and 12 have the same size shaft?

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Thats funny i though they where the same size.Would not bore grind or drill anything on the yoke.If you can't find a u-joint that fits you'll have too change the yoke.

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I had to get a special u-joint for the rearend I'm putting into my K5. It currently has a 10blt under it. Pretty soon (I've been saying that for MONTHS!) I'll be putting in my S/F 14 W/disc conversion. I went to the local driveshaft place and told them that I needed a U-joint that would accecpt my 10blt driveshaft (1310) & the S/F 14 rearend (1350). They didn't have a problem finding it. It only took 2 days for them to order it. The damn thing cost $25, but its only money.

Most people call them "Trick U-joints".

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Corey is right, a combo u-joint is the best way to go if you don't want a new driveshaft made. Some GM u-joints are called 3R. For instance, I have a 3R/1310 combination u-joint on the rear of my driveshaft (it originally had a 10 bolt). The output for the 12 bolt I have now is 1310, and the driveshaft is 3R. Aparrently the 3R is a little bit bigger than a 1310, and the combo u-joint was around $25.00 also.

BIGJ

5. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the u-joint?

6. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

Swapped a 12 bolt in place of my 10 bolt. U-joint was the same size

Tuck

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

From a local spicer dealer. They make driveshafts for semi's. Six states or just about any driveshaft place should carry spicer u-joints.

BIGJ

8. lowlevel2

lowlevel2 Registered Member

DO NOT BORE THEM OUT!look in the phone book for a local driveline shop,tell them what you are doing and i would almost guarantee they know the u-bolt # off the top of there head.My local shop did...
    Mine was $32.00 installed.

89 SUB
    75 CHEVELLE
    76 CUTLASS

9. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

If there is a NAPA store around check with them. I used to work at the one in Huntsville. I don't know the number right off, but there is a whole section on conversion joints in the BOOKS. It seems that some store's employees think that if they can't look it up in the computer the part doesn't exist. You don't even need to know the bore sizes, as long as you know what the two vehicles were the axle/d-shaft are off of. I'm trying to find an old book I got before I left, and if I can I might be able to help with part #'s.

10. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone I found one at NAPA for around $23. The hardest step in taking the 10 bolt out is the u-bolts. They were not easy to get off useing wrenches so I used a air angle cutter and a hacksaw. They gave me no trouble after that. Thanks again.