Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u-joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Apr 19, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Whats the diff between the u-joints on the front driveshaft and rear driveshaft?

NITRO

2. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

sometimes its the length and sometimes its the cap diam. if you have a good electronic micrometer, you can check the measurments. also, some are outer clips and some are inner clips. the outers are very aparent, the inners are usually covered with grease and dirt.

3. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

sometimes its the length, sometimes its the cap diam and sometimes they are the same. i lucked out this weekend. i had bought some for the front axle CV's but never put them in and had to change out the u joints on the rear driveshaft and they fit. if you have a good electronic micrometer, you can check the measurments. also, some are outer clips and some are inner clips. the outers are very aparent, the inners are usually covered with grease and dirt. i am not too sure what chevy/GM have done over the years or what they even used different ones from front to rear. sorry that i can't be of more help

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Mine are all the same with exception to the grease fitting in the #1 u-joint (that's the one on the front driveshaft that bolts up to the t-case output shaft).

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

One of the u joints on my front cv is about to go out, but i didnt really c how to get it out. all that i c is a little cap on it, but no way to get it off. Im goin to attica tomorrow and just wanted to be prepared. thanx for the replies

NITRO

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Which one? The #1 is a bi-atch to replace on the trail. #2 is even worse.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

the one closest to the x-case and the one right in front of that are both about to go. but, the rear ones are new.

NITRO