Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HARRYS81, Jun 18, 2002.

1. HARRYS81

HARRYS81 Registered Member

Anybody have any idea why i keep blowing out the rear u-joints in my truck????? I just put in a 700 r-4 trans, and now it keeps blowing the joints (going to buy my 3rd set today in a month). The motor is the same as always, SB 350. I never used to have this problem with the t350 trans that came out of it. I have a lift kit, but i dropped the tranny an 1 1/2" to compensate for that.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Did you by chance take apart the driveshaft when you swapped the tranny? If so, and you didn't line up the splines on the shaft, it could be tearing itself up. Do you have any bad vibrations?

Also, it could just be that the driveshaft is on it's way out. I've had that happen before. You replace one thing and several others fail at the same time.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you have to have it out already, on top of checking the shaft, make sure the straps that retain the axle u-joint are making full contact with the caps, and that the *yoke* isn't worn out. Had that happen to me. PO put the straps on wrong, which wore out the yoke, which led to blown u-joints.

Open end of c-clip needs to be under the strap, so that the majority of the c-clip is seated against the yoke. If the straps have ever been put on wrong (straps tightened down *over* the c-clip for instance) you will either need to "flatten" the straps back out, or buy used ones. I got away with flattening mine out.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

u said you just put in a 700r4, what was in it before. did you also change the drive line length. do the angle match??

ARQ.