Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

u-joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by the hulk, Dec 21, 2003.

1. the hulk

the hulk Registered Member

Well I keep burning up u-joints. I have a 6 inch lift and I had the stock drive line lengthen to fit .Does the 6 inch lift put to much angle on the u-joints
    web page

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

depends on the angles you are running them at! Have you measured? From what I have heard, anything over 15 degrees is bad. Mine are at about 12-13 degrees and I have had no problems yet.

You could always go with a CV type rear drive shaft.
    Try www.highangledriveline.com

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Are you running blocks in the rear. Having a manual tranny ads a lot of wrap to the springs and really pisses off a u-joint. Check the angle(copared to the ground) of the axle, t-case, driveshaft. I do change my rear DS u-joints about every oil change (2500 miles).

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Maybe, you're not installing them correctly?? That was my problem. I made sure the caps in the yoke were as far outboard as they would go, but completely forgot about making sure the caps under the u-bolts were adjusted outward. I was overheating them every WEEK! Then I asked about it here. I was talking about it to the guy at the driveline shop the other day and he said people have a tendency to overtighten the nuts on the u-bolts. 15-20 foot-pounds is plenty . You want to tighten the nuts until the lock washer collapses all the way, then go about 1/2 turn more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah and smack your yoke with a hammer before you install it. Sometimes it binds up and it'll put a lot of force on the u joints.