Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U-Joints...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Mar 5, 2004.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok ever since i replaced the first 2 joints, ive been going through them like butter, probably 5-7, all on the rear drive shaft, with a totally stock truck, and not really driving too hard. they look like they're burning up, are you supposed to pack them with grease before install? cuz i thought that vaseline lookin stuff was grease, so i didnt bother, so am i retarded? or can my drive shaft actually be bent? any help appreciated..

2. john deere

john deere Registered Member

if it has a grease fitting you definitly need to grease it.If your drive shaft is bent or out of balance then it would vibrate the truck at higher speeds.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

grease them man, grease them. I believe that vasoline is just to make sure they don't rust. they need grease.

Harley

4. john deere

john deere Registered Member

the littke bit of clear grease that comes in them is to hold the needle bearings inside the caps during instalation

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

ya, that too

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It says on the box that you are supposed to grease them before installation. That would be why they look burnt up.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes, grease them (put some wheel-bearing grease in the caps before assembly if the joints aren't the greaseable type).
    And, when you press/pound the caps on, make sure the joint rotates freely. If the ends of the u-joint innards are pressed up against the caps, that will cause excessive heat. If you find that you've installed it and the caps are indeed too tight, just set the joint on an open vise in such a way that hitting the yoke of the driveshaft will push the caps out and make the locking clips come into contact with the inside face of the yoke (make sense? if not, I'll try to explain it better)

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

New non greasable joints do not need to be greased on install but I usually give them a fingerful anyway.

Greasable joints MUST be greased upon install.

Make sure the caps are not turning inside the yokes too. If the yokes are worn out, they might need to be replaced.

9. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

Do not put any extra grease in GM u-joints. In fact the instructions tell you not to mix up the caps during assembly because each one gets a predetermined amount of grease. Steve at ORD was telling me that Spicer non-greaseable are not supposed to be greased either.

10. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status