Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

U.S. Air Force receives last F-16

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jun 7, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[size=+1]U.S. Air Force receives last F-16[/size]
    F-16.net ^| March 25, 2005 | Susan Ferns

Posted on 03/25/2005 11:19:32 AM PST by klpt

The US Air Force has received the last of 2,231 F-16 fighters manufactured for the service, the Air Force's Aeronautical Systems Center announced on Thursday.

The general who was the F-16 System Program Office director at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, when the contract for the aircraft was awarded delivered the Air Force's last F-16 Fighting Falcon on March 18.

While Lockheed Martin Aero, Fort Worth, will continue to produce F-16s for international coalition partners, this aircraft is the last of 2,231 F-16s produced for the Air Force, officials said. The first delivery was in 1978.

Brig. Gen. Jeff Riemer, now the director of operations at the Air Force Materiel Command headquarters here, flew the jet from the Lockheed Martin plant in Fort Worth to Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.

"It seemed fitting for General Riemer to make this historic flight, and we were pleased that he was able to accept the invitation," said Col. Scott Jansson, Aeronautical Systems Center Fighter Attack Systems Wing's F-16 Systems Group commander.

For his part, General Riemer said that having flown the very first F-16B while stationed at Edwards AFB, Calif., he is delighted to have had the opportunity to fly the last F-16 produced for the Air Force.

"(This F-16) is not your father's F-16," said Dan Mahrer, F-16 production program manager. "Originally designed as a lightweight, daytime interceptor, the F-16 Fighting Falcon has been transformed over the last 20 years into a multi-role, all weather, air-to-air and air-to-ground attack weapon system.

"Today's F-16 has significant combat capabilities. This (version of the) jet has a new computer, multifunctional color displays, an advanced (Identification Friend or Foe) interrogator, upgraded data link system and a new helmet with an automatic target-cueing system. It has been upgraded with the latest software and cutting-edge precision weapons," Mr. Mahrer said. "Although this is the last new F-16 expected to be produced for the (Air Force), the F-16 Systems Group continues to technically transform the existing fleet of more than 1,300 jets, enabling evolutionary weapons delivery capabilities through 2025 and making possible a smooth transition to the F-35, the world's premier multi-role fighter of the future," Col. Jansson said.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

imo the f16 was the best dog fightin' plane in the world until they started making planes with vectoring exhaust.

j

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

you ought to see what this F35 can do, we are watching training vids in my airframe school. this thing kicks ass and takes names!

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

F-35 VTOL "video"

and some in-flight rolls and in-cockpit views. "video"

6. jekbrown

yeah, main issue I have with newer planes in the co$t... the F22 is a good example, cost ran wild. Its a kick but fighter, but there has to be a limit on everything... especially when no one else in the world really has a plane that can beat an F15 or 16... let along the new bling.

j

7. google

google 1/2 ton status

I still want to see one with a lift and some 100" mudders

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Vectored thrust isn't all it's cracked up to be, and using the vectored thrust for anything but taking off and landing is folly... Look at Harriers... they are absolute mutts... couldn't win a dog fight if their life depended on it, but they look cool as hell, and they can be stealthy because of their slow speed capability...

yeah, if you are going to fly into a hostile area, slide in behind a mountain and creep over the top with the vectors to shoot a target, then boogie out, that's cool... but there is no such thing as air superiority with a vectored thrust aircraft... not even the F35... I'd take the F22 or F23 over the 35 all day.

9. jekbrown

well, thrust vectoring is very new... IMO it will become a factor in ariel combat at some point unless missile tech gets soooo good that all air combat is reduced to an "I can see you 25 miles further away because I have better radar controllers and I shot first, so you lose" affair. Back in the day when planes had real dogfighting going on, he who turned first won... and thrust vectoring can definitely help one turn faster.

Anyway, the F15 has never lost a single air-to-air engagement and its 30 years old technology. I'm not saying we should quit making new toys, but we must recognize (when it comes to the $$$ we are gonna invest) that the rest of the world is way WAY behind.

j

10. PhoenixZorn

Thrust vecroting is about 15-20 years old, it came out with the first Harrier that Britain or France came up with... vertical take off and landing, hover ability, spin on a dime like a Hilo, and just about be the coolest thing for impressing someone ever made... we of course have our own harrier now, which is far better... it can even fly backwards for short distances... and then we have the 35, which is basically a combination of an F22, F16, and Harrier... probably a few other beasts in the mix too...

11. jekbrown

well, there is thrust vectoring and there is thrust vectoring. lol! the harrier's seems intended to make it capable of vertical take off and landing, while the TV on newer fighters seems to be designed to decrease turning radius and aid dog-fighting capability. I dunno jack about the f35... can it hover? I know that russian jet (looks like a su27 but with TV) can do some crazy manuevers, but can't VTOL.

j

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The F35 is a joint strike fighter that will be used by all branches of the US Armed Service. It is a single platform that can do the various specialized jobs needed by each branch of the military.
    For the Navy it will have larger flight surfaces and built stronger to handle Carrier duity.

The air Force will get a conventional take off and landing fighter

Marines will get the hovering VTOL model. Besides thrust vectoring the F35 also uses a large fan powered by the engine to produce vertical thrust.

Because 1 fighter can be used by all the military it can be built cheaper to keep costs down. It is not set to be deployed till 2008.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

What about the F-18 isnt in all in the mix somewhere too?

14. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

You would be suprised. I've know vetern harrier pilots that flew circles around some F18's. And plus the harrier was never intended to be a fighter. Its an attack jet.

15. PhoenixZorn

I've seen a Marine Captian blow an Air Force Captain out of the water with a Harrier at Cherry Point MCAS... it was awesome to see... the F18 took off, pulled a half loop and flew inverted across the length of the runway... the Harrier did a vertical take off, hovered for a minute, the proceeded to spin while moving down the runway... it was truly pimpish...

Then again... on the other hand, I've seen Harrier pilots think they were going to crash, they eject, and when they land they look up and see their plane hovering where they left it... (usually right over the runway where they took off from.) Needless to say, it's very difficult to get a hovering harrier to come down... As I recall, they threw a few grappling hooks into the cockpit and had about 30 marines heave-ho'ing it down to the tarmac.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

FYI. The F22 and F23 are both Thrust vectored Fighters. That is why they are so manuverable.
    Also the F23 built by Northrop and McDonnell Douglas was never chosen to go into production.

17. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I find that a bit hard to believe. They hover a couple hundred feet of the ground. And second 30 marines are not going to put a harrier out of the sky with the amount of thrust the engine is putting out at the power level they hover at. I would have to see this to believe it.